Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scores and Their Meanings By Organizations

tag
John060675
Valued Contributor

Scores and Their Meanings By Organizations

Not that it really matters, but I found this article that discusses what credit scores mean to different people.

According to this, they say that FICO considers 723 to be the average score.  Seems high to me.  I think they are smoking the FICO pipe! Smiley Wink

One more thing on the article.  It has the following:

The bottom line
Talk to a few people in lending and they'll tell you that a 723 FICO credit score is good enough. But, they're salesmen. They won't tell you that 723 is only the exact median (the middle score) of everybody who has a score. So, if that's only average, you might consider shooting a little higher. 13% of the scored U.S. population have an 800 FICO score or higher.

So 13% of the US population has over an 800?  Anyone really think this is true?

Message Edited by John060675 on 10-22-2007 12:48 AM

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Scores and Their Meanings By Organizations

John060675 wrote:
Talk to a few people in lending and they'll tell you that a 723 FICO credit score is good enough. But, they're salesmen. They won't tell you that 723 is only the exact median (the middle score) of everybody who has a score. So, if that's only average, you might consider shooting a little higher. 13% of the scored U.S. population have an 800 FICO score or higher.

So 13% of the US population has over an 800?  Anyone really think this is true?

Message Edited by John060675 on 10-22-2007 12:48 AM

I think the "scored" US population is those people who bought their FICO scores or applied for credit.  So if you have never applied and never got your score, you do not have a FICO score and you are "unscored."  Remember, it's a snapshot in time, so there's no picture until you hit the shutter release.

But even among those who are scored, 13% seems high.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.