Established Contributor
IWOL

Secured card deposit account interest rate....can I enforce this.

I have 2 secured cards from New Millenium bank that I have had since 2005. Both cards have the max limit of  $5000 each.

I was looking over my original credit card agreement and I noticed that the deposit section states that interest will be paid at 6% for first 3 months, 2% for 2 years and then 2% thereafter.  Obviously 2% is much higher than what any banks are offering today, and it seems strange that the agreement does not address interest rate fluctuationsnin any way. I noticed that on my statements it shows that the accounts are only being paid an interest rate of 0.14%. 

Can I force them to honor the 2% as per the credit card agreement. What would be the best way to go about this. I don't believe the interest is compounded but I've had these accounts for 8 years, so at 2% per year it is around $200 per year so it's a significant amount of money.

src=http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p780/ilanj/imagejpg1_zps2004ecdb.jpg"
Revelate

Re: Secured card deposit account interest rate....can I enforce this.

I think you'd need to talk to a lawyer on this one; banks can change your account type and presumably conditions associated with it (balance requirements, fees etc) with absurd ease as I found out on my own BOFA depository accounts which changed no fewer than 3 times over a 7 year period much to my annoyance.

Every single T+C you clicked through would need to be looked at for starters, and then other than asking them you're stuck taking them to small claims court I suspect.  

This forum isn't really geared towards legal advice, also moving the topic to General.

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 673, EQ 8 707, TU 720, EX 702* (09/02/14, EX older)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ '04 (01/01/15)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}