Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Freeze Lift Requirement for Current Creditor

tag
pennccrn
New Contributor

Security Freeze Lift Requirement for Current Creditor

Hi all:  I hope I'm posting this is the right spot.  Just a quick question.  I have a CC with my CU and they told me about a two month before my card expired to temporarily lift the security freeze on my TU report. Not that I mind, I don't have any inquiries on there, but it got be thinking.  Shouldn't a creditor that I have a CC account through be able to do that via an AR designation, result in a soft inquiry?  This whole process created a hard inquiry.  I didn't request an increase line of credit or anything, and I've had this CC since 2003 without any increase or decrease in the CL.

Thanks!

-Nick

Discover It 12.5K; AmEx SPG 17.5K; Arrival+ WE BarclayCard 18K; BankAmericard Cash 10.5K; Citi Double Cash 8.1K; Credit Union Card 5K; Target Redcard 1K

Starting Score: TU 620 EX 535 EQ 615
Current Score: TU 818 EX 815 EQ 807
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Security Freeze Lift Requirement for Current Creditor

I'm not sure that I understand your question, but if you are asking whether an existing creditor should be able to pull your report as a soft inquiry rather than a hard inquiry, then the answer is yes.   Existing creditors can do account reviews of your CR as soft pulls.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Security "freezes" are not regulated under the FCRA, but rather under state statutes.  The FCRA process involves "fraud alerts," which dont restrict an otherwise permissible pull of your CR.

The extent of access to your CR would depend upon the restrictions imposed by the statute under which the freeze is imposed.

If your creditor correctly reported their inquiry as an annual review, it should have posted as a soft inquiry.  Have you talked with them about a possible recoding?

Message 3 of 6
pennccrn
New Contributor

Sorry all, let me clarify.  This is a credit card I have with my credit union.  Right before it expired, they called me and let me know that I was supposed to unlock my security freeze so they can run a new credit check, in order to reissue my card.  I pressed that since that I have an established credit account with them, they could run an "AR" or annual review (soft inquiry), but they told me they would not re-issue the card unless the security freeze was dropped.  I thought that was strange, and wanted to know if this is standard practice.  I have a number of major credit cards issued through major banks, that do not require this.  

Thanks!

-Nick

Discover It 12.5K; AmEx SPG 17.5K; Arrival+ WE BarclayCard 18K; BankAmericard Cash 10.5K; Citi Double Cash 8.1K; Credit Union Card 5K; Target Redcard 1K

Starting Score: TU 620 EX 535 EQ 615
Current Score: TU 818 EX 815 EQ 807
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

The security freeze maybe blocking thier ability to pull the account review. It is standard procedure forcreditors to run periodic account reviews. If you look in card holder agreement you have given them permission to do so by accepting the agreement.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 5 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@pennccrn wrote:

Sorry all, let me clarify.  This is a credit card I have with my credit union.  Right before it expired, they called me and let me know that I was supposed to unlock my security freeze so they can run a new credit check, in order to reissue my card.  I pressed that since that I have an established credit account with them, they could run an "AR" or annual review (soft inquiry), but they told me they would not re-issue the card unless the security freeze was dropped.  I thought that was strange, and wanted to know if this is standard practice.  I have a number of major credit cards issued through major banks, that do not require this.  

Thanks!

-Nick

Nearly every one of my CC creditors soft my reports on some regular basis, monthly, bi-monthly....they pretty much all do it.  

I guess that someone at your CU didn't code the inquiry correctly, but your creditors do have PP to pull your report.

Have you called them and asked them to re-code the inquiry to be a soft pull ??

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.