cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security breach at St Francis college (N.Y)....

tag
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Security breach at St Francis college (N.Y)....

I went there for one semester in 2009 and they still have me in their system lol? Apparently an external Hard drive that was password encrypted was lost and had anybody's info from anybody who applied there from 2006 to 2011.... I applied in 2009.    This is the first time that a security breach has effected me personally with a Social Security number involved. I have used other services that has gotten breached but never had a Social security number with the service because it had no use like Sony PSN hack and Vudu among others. I also never had a Credit card on those accounts either. 

They sent mail saying I was offered monitoring services from Kroll which I have since signed up for but what else should I do ?

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

Re: Security breach at St Francis college (N.Y)....

Nothing you can do, just look for weird things on your credit report occassionally

and plus people can guess your social security number anyway, or get it online

they said the hard drive was password encrypted, so maybe there isn't any additional risk

ABC-XY-1234

where 1234 is written on everything

ABC is a code for the state you were born in / had a SSN issued in

XY is a number from 00-99

and the last 4 digits are written on everything. Although some services will show anyone the first 5 digits, so consider your social security number compromised, no matter how quietly you try to say it on the phone or to bank tellers (haha people still do that?)

Message 2 of 4
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@gen-specific wrote:

Nothing you can do, just look for weird things on your credit report occassionally

they said the hard drive was password encrypted, so maybe there isn't any additional risk

ABC-XY-1234

and the last 4 digits are written on everything. Although some services will show anyone the first 5 digits, so consider your social security number compromised, no matter how quietly you try to say it on the phone or to bank tellers (haha people still do that?)

Ah Thanks but I have a question then.  My brother is 3 years younger then me and his ABC is different then mine and we both has a Social issued in the same state.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 3 of 4
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@gen-specific wrote:

ABC-XY-1234

Ah Thanks but I have a question then.  My brother is 3 years younger then me and his ABC is different then mine and we both has a Social issued in the same state.

yep some states have multiple IDs just like your town may have multiple area codes

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.