Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security clearance?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Security clearance?

Which scores are used for government security clearance? Does anyone know what the acceptable score is for a Top Secret or Secret security clearance?

I think I lost a job recently because of a 693 score. Smiley Sad

Thanks,
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Security clearance?

oh wow thats crazy my BF works for a company that is linked to the federal government and his scores are not that high and he still has his job--hope you find out the info you need

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is one of the reasons I have been here at myFICO

It's not as much about score as it is "signs of financial distress"

boopteedo wrote:
Which scores are used for government security clearance? Does anyone know what the acceptable score is for a Top Secret or Secret security clearance?

I think I lost a job recently because of a 693 score. Smiley Sad

Thanks,

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Care to share?

I am looking for an Intel Analyst with one of several of the defense agencies. I was offered the job, and sent through medical and psych clearance. Background check started after that, and almost right away I got the drop letter. I know how clean I am so I have to assume it was credit. As I said, I retrieved only 1 score, 693. Smiley Sad

I am now spending much time educating myself and cleaning it up as I begin to apply again...

Boop
Message 4 of 10
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, I didn't even know that they pulled credit. I had a Top Secret SI clearance when I was in the USMC. I know the FBI was snooping around my neighborhood and High School. Heck, I was barely 18; I didn't have any credit anyway.

I was a Signals Intelligence Analyst. Sorry to hear that. Smiley Sad

Message Edited by ByrdMan on 01-08-2008 08:06 PM

Message Edited by ByrdMan on 01-08-2008 08:07 PM

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

im currently in the marines. my job required a secret clearance and some of us had to have topsecret. i'm sure you filled out the 10+ page questionnaire. if you answered the question are you in debtness as no and they pull your credit to find a collection or anything owed, sometimes they are jerks and it raises a integrity flag. i've seen it happen more than once, even though the credit delinquency was minor. anything negative on your credit at all that hasnt been paid?
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have to keep in mind the purpose of a credit check for these kinds of clearances is more to determine whether you have been loyal to capitalism and contributed faithfully to the corporations that run the country than it is to determine whether financial pressures could compromise you.

Rejecting a candidate who is in debt to his eyebrows with repos on the way makes sense from the standpoint of insuring an individual is not pressured to pass on secrets for a buck. Rejecting one for a charged-off cell phone bill four years ago...that's just retribution for not contributing adequately to corporate profits.
Message 7 of 10
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

new world man is exactly right my husband is ft in military and wanted a diff job w/sec clearance and he was turned down due to his credit. I didnt really understand it but basically what new world man said was the explanantion my  husband gave me..sorry
~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 8 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

TheNewWorldMan wrote:
You have to keep in mind the purpose of a credit check for these kinds of clearances is more to determine whether you have been loyal to capitalism and contributed faithfully to the corporations that run the country than it is to determine whether financial pressures could compromise you.

Rejecting a candidate who is in debt to his eyebrows with repos on the way makes sense from the standpoint of insuring an individual is not pressured to pass on secrets for a buck. Rejecting one for a charged-off cell phone bill four years ago...that's just retribution for not contributing adequately to corporate profits.

AH HA!  The Old NewWorldMan is back   Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

DOn't get me wrong, I understand the need for a clean credit and financial background when in a position of security. (Virtually all the betrayals in our country in modern history were fueled by money.)

But I'm asking what do they look at? Is it just the score? And what is that cutoff?

Do I need to pay down my student loan significantly so I have less owed on the books? My amt. owed seems high, but it is only my mortgage, HELOC and student loan, and I have a high income.

If it is a hugh cutoff that counts,. is there some way to boost my scores? They are at 738, 720 and 708 now. Did I read where you can pay to have accounts removed? I have 31 accounts, though all but 4 are at zero...

Just trying to get a handle on this thing...

Boop
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.