Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking Home Equity Loan - have a foreclosure on credit from 2 yrs ago

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seeking Home Equity Loan - have a foreclosure on credit from 2 yrs ago

We have a foreclosure on our credit scores which is 2 yrs old.  This was from a rental home.  Since then, we have sold our primary home and purchased a new primary home and were able to pay all cash for the home.  With poor credit still and a foreclosure and yet 100% equity in a home... any thoughts about qualifing for a home equity loan. Is there a possiblility for a home quity loan or do we need to wait out the full 3 yrs for the foreclosure.  

Thank you!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Seeking Home Equity Loan - have a foreclosure on credit from 2 yrs ago

I would check with local credit unions to see if they have a portfolio product for you.  With that kind of equity, it makes common sense.  I know a place in Wisconsin that would if you lived around here.  FHA cash out would be 3 years from the sale date.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 3
redbeard
Frequent Contributor

Re: Seeking Home Equity Loan - have a foreclosure on credit from 2 yrs ago

I'm not an expert on this, but if you own the home already, it shouldn't be impossible to get an equity loan. You don't have to comply with a lot of rules around government backed mortgages, so the waiting periods for foreclosures won't apply.

It won't be easy though. Depends on what else is in your credit file. It also will be limited on how much you can get. I would assume getting up to 50% or so won't be terribly hard, above that, the risk grows.

It also won't be cheap, but in a couple of years, you can probably refinance and fix that.

As long as you don't have an unlawful detainer to go with a foreclosure, you should be able to find at least a hard money loan somewhere.

Dan
Just trying to get my scores to rise from the dead......

Wait.... I think I just heard a heartbeat!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.