Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Servicemember Civil Relief Act

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Servicemember Civil Relief Act

I am an Active Guard Servicemember and I have been on orders ouside of the Contintental United States. I have noticed that the month that I deployed, I had late payments of up to 120+ days late on my student loans. The reason why I had  late payments on my student loans was due to the fact that I had to drop out of school after being mobilized on several different occassions after 9/11, once to Iraq. By not taking classes, my student loans were suddenly due without my knowledge. I did not recieve any mail coorespondence because my address and phone number had changed when I moved to another duty station. Now I am living with a nightmare with a extremely low credit score from all three Credit Bureaus, and I can't buy a house or a vehicle. I have sent letters without any resolution. I've thought about hiring a lawyer, but money is an issue. I don't understand how banks can't and won't be sympathetic to my circumstances. Any ideas?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Servicemember Civil Relief Act

You will need copies of each of your deployment orders. Send them, along with your requst to adjust the reporting.
Unfortunately, the SCRA does not address debts that are past due AT the time of deployment, nor does it stop payments that are due while you are deployed. It merely sets an interest ceiling on fixed interest loans.
I would GW my little heart out. People have had success doing that with student loans.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Servicemember Civil Relief Act

TexMontana wrote:
You will need copies of each of your deployment orders. Send them, along with your requst to adjust the reporting.
Unfortunately, the SCRA does not address debts that are past due AT the time of deployment, nor does it stop payments that are due while you are deployed. It merely sets an interest ceiling on fixed interest loans.
I would GW my little heart out. People have had success doing that with student loans.

The Higher Education Act states that all student loan activity must be reported.  In the case of deployment there may be an excepytion.  I would send copies of the deployment oreders to see what can happen though I doubt it will be resolved.  On the other hand these are extreme circumstances

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.