Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I????Please help.

tag
ewtrw
Established Member

Should I????Please help.

I want to buy a house in six months. My current scores are EQ-647 and TU 645. I only have a car loan, a secured cc, and my current mortgage as open accounts. Is it too late or too close to my prefered purchase date( 6 months) to reap the benifits of  another secured CC or a secured loan. Or should I just wait and let my score gradually rise(hopefully) from timely payments.....Please help

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Should I????Please help.

Conventional wisdom seems to be that mortgage lendors frown upon any applications for new credit within the last 6 months prior to application for a mortgage.  It leads to the implication that you might be taking on other new debt that most likley wont be reflected in your CR until after their have made a final approval of your loan with them.  They dont like uncertainties.  I would avoid new inquiries this close to mortgage application. 

Message 2 of 8
ewtrw
Established Member

Wow...thanks so much....sounds good...

Message 3 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Just to be contrary Smiley Wink, I would suggest that you run this by a couple of mortgage lenders first.

Yes, for those who already have a decent sample of CC's, the usual advice is to not app within six months. But for those with no or very little open revolving credit, lenders often advise opening another tradeline or two. Since you only have the one card, this might apply to you.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 8
winstars
Regular Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Just to be contrary Smiley Wink, I would suggest that you run this by a couple of mortgage lenders first.

Yes, for those who already have a decent sample of CC's, the usual advice is to not app within six months. But for those with no or very little open revolving credit, lenders often advise opening another tradeline or two. Since you only have the one card, this might apply to you.

How would this "don't apply for credit six months before mortgage" if I apped for AMEX that I knew would be backdated to 1986 if approved??? Would the AMEX show as new credit??? Or would the backdating 'mask' the new credit??? Would the INQ mean new credit???

Starting Score: TU-685 (FICO) EQ-674 (FICO) EX-713 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Current Score: TU-800 (FICO) EQ-812 (FICO) EX-800 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Goal Score: 815

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 8
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

@winstars wrote:

How would this "don't apply for credit six months before mortgage" if I apped for AMEX that I knew would be backdated to 1986 if approved??? Would the AMEX show as new credit??? Or would the backdating 'mask' the new credit??? Would the INQ mean new credit???

That would probably be fine.  Based on what my mortgage broker told me was, they mainly frown on new accounts that you immediately max out.  She told me ONE new account, that was kept to below 10% of the credit line shouldn't be a problem (as long as it doesn't ruin your DTI ratio), as for an Amex, you could probably explain away the inquiry saying you were just asking for a credit line increase or something to reduce total util to raise your scores or something.  Just my opinions lol.

-----------------------
My favorite card right now: Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature
Message 6 of 8
winstars
Regular Contributor

@jthedges wrote:

@winstars wrote:

That would probably be fine.  Based on what my mortgage broker told me was, they mainly frown on new accounts that you immediately max out.  She told me ONE new account, that was kept to below 10% of the credit line shouldn't be a problem (as long as it doesn't ruin your DTI ratio), as for an Amex, you could probably explain away the inquiry saying you were just asking for a credit line increase or something to reduce total util to raise your scores or something.  Just my opinions lol.

All that seems perfectly logical, the only reason I want to app for the AMEX (or try the "double app, one inquiry" move would be for the AAoA pickup. I would either PIF each month or definitely keep it well under 10%. Good idea with the CLI reason for the inquiry.

Starting Score: TU-685 (FICO) EQ-674 (FICO) EX-713 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Current Score: TU-800 (FICO) EQ-812 (FICO) EX-800 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Goal Score: 815

Message 7 of 8
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

@winstars wrote:

@jthedges wrote:

@winstars wrote:

All that seems perfectly logical, the only reason I want to app for the AMEX (or try the "double app, one inquiry" move would be for the AAoA pickup. I would either PIF each month or definitely keep it well under 10%. Good idea with the CLI reason for the inquiry.

Yeah I would have to say Amex is a special case.  You won't have the issue of a "new" account reporting like you would with a new account from any other issuer, lenders want to see a clean long credit history so that extra AAoA can only help IMHO.

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.