cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I be concerned about this letter?

tag
iluvdodgetrx
Valued Member

Should I be concerned about this letter?

I recieved a letter from the Kohl's department store. It had MY address but someone else's name. I opened it accidently Smiley Wink

Should I be concerned about identity theft? I dont know why someone would use my address. Should this concern me?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I be concerned about this letter?

@iluvdodgetrx wrote:

I recieved a letter from the Kohl's department store. It had MY address but someone else's name. I opened it accidently Smiley Wink

Should I be concerned about identity theft? I dont know why someone would use my address. Should this concern me?

What kind of letter? 

I might be concerned.

Message 2 of 8
iluvdodgetrx
Valued Member

It was a letter declining a line of credit due to too many accounts with late payments. I have no late payments on any of my accounts and like I said it was someone elses name, but my address

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iluvdodgetrx wrote:

It was a letter declining a line of credit due to too many accounts with late payments. I have no late payments on any of my accounts and like I said it was someone elses name, but my address

In that case, I would be worried.

It could be a simple mistake, but then again ...

Check all three of your CR and consider a fraud alert or, at the very minimum, a credit freeze.

Message 4 of 8
DI
Super Contributor

@iluvdodgetrx wrote:

How long have you lived at your current address?

Message 5 of 8
iluvdodgetrx
Valued Member

3 years

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't be concerned if it's not your name. Since it's a department store, it's quite likely that the rep typed in the address wrong during the app.

Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRAs have matching criteria to prevent information from being reported to your credit file that does not adequately match your personal information on file.

They usually rely on SSN, since it is supposedly a unique identifier.  Absent the inclusion of a SSN in a reporting, they look for a matching name and address.

Since this information has apparently not been entered into your credit file, it appears that the whatever mistake has occured is not sufficient to get it into your CR.

So I would not be overly concerned.

I would send a letter to Kohls, informing them of their mistake, and asking them to send you a letter confirming that it was intended for party "X", and not for you.

If they do that, then my concerns would be minimal.  It looks like a clerical mistake,

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.