Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I change banks?

tag
livingfree
New Contributor

Should I change banks?

I currently bank at Bank of America.  I have had an account with them since they were Barnett Bank, Nations Bank and now BOA (basically 16 years).  I included BOA cc's in my bankruptcy.  BOA does not seem to be bk friendly so I am wondering should I change banks.  I don't know if my history with them is going to cause a negative reaction in the future for a mortgage or whatever.  Please help.

5/13/13 EQ 636 (Myfico), TU 660 lender pull , EX 640 lender pull
Barclay Rewards MC $2300, Cap One $750, Walmart $800, Macys $2000, Lane Bryant $600.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
js0319
Established Contributor

Re: Should I change banks?

I am in the process of dropping BofA and Wells Fargo as my banks, and I switched to a CU. At this point - because the banks have done nothing to offer me credit services I can actually use, I decided to go with an institution that will grow with me. You may want to look into a CU.

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 2 of 6
marty56
Super Contributor

IMHO when you a ready FICO score wise for a mortgage later on it won't mater if they deny you since you got probably get better terms with a local CU or another bank.

Not to worry, just focus on building your FICO score and as your score improves so will your options.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You do raise a good point regarding the BK.

BOA will still have that info in their files after the BK is excluded from your CR.  Other credtiors most likely will not become aware of it after CR exclusion unless they have some other means to get that info.  You left them with unpaid, bad debt. 

Message 4 of 6
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Go and join a good credit union.  CU are absolutely wonderful.  You'll love BOA really good web interface but most CU's have a website that is certainly servivable that get's the job done, just not as pretty or will all the phone apps. 

Message 5 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I remember Barnett Bank back in the day...back on target... I agree with Marty56, just because you have deposit accounts with BofA you don't have ot have a mortgage or credit accounts with them too. BKing BofA's CCs has nothing to do with stroking a check or paying a bill. Now getting a BofA CC might not be an easy thing, but, IMO, you don't want a BofA CC anyway. I'm of the opinion that their credit products and CSR skills are junk....mortgages included. I have a BofA checking and savings, but I'll never open another BofA CC and I'd never get a mortgage from them if they paid me. But I think their bank accounts are fine.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.