Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I dispute this account?

tag
php111
Regular Contributor

Should I dispute this account?

Sorry if I am asking in the wrong section.

First, the phone number listed on my Credit Reports are for the Verizon Wireless Recovery Department which is 800-852-1922 not a CA. Apparently, this is incorrect because this account is with ERC which is a CA and on all reports it does not show it is ERC. It is Verizon Recovery. It does not say Verizon Recovery but I know the phone number listed is for that department not a CA.

Second, on my Credit Reports it shows a balance of $437 but after speaking to both ERC and Verizon Recovery my balance is $476.79.

What should I do? Should I dispute? Or what should I do?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I dispute this account?

No I would not dispute the balance it does not help you any.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 5
php111
Regular Contributor

Thanks!

Message 3 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Don't overlook the Rebuilding subforum for topics like this.

Fussing over the balance isn't going to help you.  You want to aim for removal and you want to be very careful about how you handle it so you don't make matters worse.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Be aware that an original creditor can still be considerd a debt collector under the FDCPA, and thus still subject to all of the protections of the FDCPA, including the right to request debt validation, and all of the debt collection practices provisions.

The definition of a debt collector in the FDCPA explicity includes any original creditor who uses a name other than their own that leave an implication that they are a party other than the original creditor.

As for disputes, the moderators are not heavy handed in discussion of disputes.  If you have an inaccuracy, you can certainly ask for and receive comments on use of a dispute.

The moderator issue applies to discussions that urge or discuss the filing of a dispute when there is no inaccuracy.

AS for the current balance of a debt, I would agree that filing of disputes would best be reserved for a one-time dispute if/when you are negotiating terms of payment, and have a disagreement over the amount of the debt that you wish to have verified.  In most situations, the account agreement that created the debt will have explcityly authorized addtional amounts that are permitted under FDCPA 808(1),and thus the amount of the debt is fluid and variable, so constant disputes are time consuming and are likely obsolete the month after they are filed.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.