Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get this corrected on my CR?

tag
siren8780
Established Member

Should I get this corrected on my CR?

I need some advice about what to do with an error on my credit report. I've had a LB store credit card since 2005. The account was sold to Commenity in 2008 which created a mess on my report. I've got pretty good payment history on the account with a 30/60/90 late in 2013 and one 30 late in 2013.

So here is where the cluster starts....Each agency is reporting something different for each of the THREE accounts that are showing up.  And they are all for ONE account. None of it is correct and I don't even know where to start.

I want to get these accounts cleaned up so that I get the benefit of the good account history without showing up as closed. But I'm not sure what to do. My fear is that if I dispute this the wrong way, I will loose the good account data somehow. I don't want them deleted, just corrected. The info being reported is below. So should I dispute this or just leave it alone?

Account 1:

• EQ: Does not show up
  • TU: Does not show up
  • EXP: Shows as open, with the 30/60/90 late in 2013. Only reports 9/11 - 8/13. Listed as current but previously 90 past due.

Account 2:

• EQ: Does not show up
  • TU: Shows as closed with no late payments. Only reports 10/06 - 9/08, Listed as paid as agreed and has a close date of 9/08.
  • EXP: Shows as closed with no late payments. Only reports 10/06 - 9/08, Listed as closed/transferred. No close date listed.

Account 3:

• EQ: Shows as closed with the 30/60/90 late and one other 30 late in 2013. Only reports 8/11 - 7/13. Missing on time payments for months of 8 - 10/11Listed as closed but no close date is given.
  • TU: Shows as closed with the 30/60/90 late and one other 30 late in 2013. Only reports 8/11 - 7/13. Listed as closed but no close date given.
  • EXP: Shows as closed with no late payments and in good standing. Only reports 2/08 - 1/10. Listed as closed but no close date given.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I get this corrected on my CR?

I would dispute any incorect information on a credit report.

If you kept your old payment recipts include them in the dispute or if you still bank with the same bank and can get to the old statements that show you paid ontime i would Highlight those payments on the statments and include them in your dispute.

You could also try to dispute the information with out proof and if the original creditors can not supply the proof that they need to then the accounts will get removed. If they can provid proof then they will be atleast updated and corrected.

Message 2 of 5
siren8780
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

I would dispute any incorect information on a credit report.

If you kept your old payment recipts include them in the dispute or if you still bank with the same bank and can get to the old statements that show you paid ontime i would Highlight those payments on the statments and include them in your dispute.

You could also try to dispute the information with out proof and if the original creditors can not supply the proof that they need to then the accounts will get removed. If they can provid proof then they will be atleast updated and corrected.

Mjy only concern is they will delete good info becuase they are too lazy to get it right. Someone on another board suggested hand writing the request.  I may do that so I can spell out exactly what needs to happen. 

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It is common, and not necessarily inaccurate, for a creditor to decide to report to only one or two CRAs, and not all three.

That also applies to reporting of delinquencies.  A creditor can decide to report all derogs with one CRA, and a lesser amount (or none) with another.

Consistency is all three credit reports is not required.

What is required is that what is reported cannot knowingly be inaccurate.

As for account no. 3, one CRA provides a current status of paid, with no derogs.

The current status should be either one of delinquency, or paid/pays as agreed.

Closed is not the deliquency/good standing status of the account, it is simply the statement of whether the account continues to be open to use by the consumer.

The current status reflects whether an account is currently under a delinquency status, or has a status of paid or pays as agreed, and reflects no historical status or statment as to whether the account remains open to consumer use.

Open/closed status does not affect immediate scoring, and will only become important in the determination at approx 10 years after closing whether the CRA will delete the account from your report.

What is the current status of that account with the other two CRAs?

Message 4 of 5
siren8780
Established Member

For account #1 it is says current, was 90 days past due

For account #2 they all show up as paid/paying as agreed.

For account #3 they all show up as paid/paying as agreed.

@RobertEG wrote:

It is common, and not necessarily inaccurate, for a creditor to decide to report to only one or two CRAs, and not all three.

That also applies to reporting of delinquencies.  A creditor can decide to report all derogs with one CRA, and a lesser amount (or none) with another.

Consistency is all three credit reports is not required.

What is required is that what is reported cannot knowingly be inaccurate.

As for account no. 3, one CRA provides a current status of paid, with no derogs.

The current status should be either one of delinquency, or paid/pays as agreed.

Closed is not the deliquency/good standing status of the account, it is simply the statement of whether the account continues to be open to use by the consumer.

The current status reflects whether an account is currently under a delinquency status, or has a status of paid or pays as agreed, and reflects no historical status or statment as to whether the account remains open to consumer use.

Open/closed status does not affect immediate scoring, and will only become important in the determination at approx 10 years after closing whether the CRA will delete the account from your report.

What is the current status of that account with the other two CRAs?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.