Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I go for DCU?

tag
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Should I go for DCU?

Hey everybody! Just want to get a feel for DCU and whether or not I should open up a checking account or not.

I would like to take advantage of the free FICO score through them. While I was reading through their site, I saw that I would only need to have electronic statements through them since they'll waive the "direct deposit" requirement for those under 23 (which i am, wont be until march of 2015). I e-mailed a representative and she confirmed I would still receive the benefits of the Plus Checking and the free FICO with just the electronic statements. Really not looking for any new credit whatsoever, and not sure when I would be applying for new credit. Car loan is up in the air, since I don't see any near future needs for one at this point in time, student loans are through the Stafford federal loan (no credit pull), while the rest is covered by scholarships and parent PLUS (sorry mom...), but I plan on going to grad school, so it looks like the next hit will be for graduate PLUS, which does pull your report. Ill have that to worry about the summer of 2014, in addition to potentially another loan if need be. No need for any more cards at this point in time.

ANYWAYS. Is it advisable to open up the account with DCU for the free FICO, take the hit on Equifax (which has 0 inquiries, so by the time I need the graduate school loan(s) it's effect will have worn off and besides, it'll only be 1 inquiry showing on the report), and at the same time not apply for any of their products? Or is it better to open an account with them when you actually do want their credit products due to inquiries (for example, maybe uses 1 hard inquiry for opening and credit products).

Is DCU really all that great and worth the FICO? It will definitely not become my primary bank anytime soon, and I plan on keeping the minimum in the account (which, by the way, what is it?).

Thanks all!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I go for DCU?

I'm of the opinion that one should collect a number of CU's for various things.  DCU is pretty disorganized at times, but their credit card products are at least reasonable for tradeline farming, the FICO score is a non-trivial benefit, and their auto loans are pretty solid by anyone's standards right now.

If you're not sweating the inquiry, I'd do it personally especially if you don't have a suite of CU's already.  Think I have 4 now and looking at adding a 5th even, lender diversity is a good thing and CU's value longer-term membership so establishing an account and parking some money there or getting some one-off product through them (credit builder installment loan as an example) enough to at least start establishing that for use in the future when your financial requirements change.

        
Message 2 of 4
chnceit
Valued Contributor

DCU offers high starting CLs as well as of course the free FICO which is great

As Rev said they are very disorganized. Since your EQ has no inquiries be ready to get two because DCU pulls one for membership and one for credit products

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 3 of 4
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Thanks guys! Not in the game for credit products for a while, so I would really be taking the inquiry for a free FICO score. I am currently with a CU through my mother's job. Nothing great, have a savings account with them with $1600 in. I guess they're good in a way because they have some decently low loan products. No CC products that I have seen through them though.

Looks like I'll go for it! Would be good to start early with them so when it does come time for more loan products and/or CCs, at least I know they'll be there for me!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.