Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I go for the Car Loan or not?

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Should I go for the Car Loan or not?

I have been approved for the car loan by CU. They pulled my CR and hard inq on EX. If I add a new installment loan, how many more points would I loose on my CR? Is it worth it?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Should I go for the Car Loan or not?

When I got my new car, they paid off the old loan and added a new one to my CR.  I lost points on EX until I amde the first payment and it was reported.  You might gain points if you dont have any installment loans.  Worst case is acts like a new account for 1 year.

In these times if you get a loan for a car I would take it.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I go for the Car Loan or not?

All installment loans only count 10% of your scores.  It is concidered a new loan for 1 year.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Happy Days

I had no idea that installment loans only counted towards 10% of your score.  That is great knowledge for me to have in the mind. 

TheTaxMan

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Thanks Happy Days

TheTaxMan wrote:

I had no idea that installment loans only counted towards 10% of your score.  That is great knowledge for me to have in the mind. 

TheTaxMan

Installment loans fall under the "Types of Credit Used" category which make up 10% of your score. Installment loans themselves don't account for 10% of your score.

How your FICO Credit Score is Calculated

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks SW

I really appreciate learning new things about credit and you all have been great for me with all of your knowledge.

TheTaxMan

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.