Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I keep the monitoring?

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Should I keep the monitoring?

I currently have the 3 bureau subscription and I'm hesitant to think it's worth the money. While I don't have any major complaints with it, it seems a bit overkill to need 24/7 access to my scores, besides the fact that I get a free FICO currently from Barclay and Discover (and honestly, I would expect more and more issuers are going to add such a feature).

Does anyone have an opinion to weigh in? Who has the monitoring and feels its worth the money? Like I said, I don't have a problem with it, it just seems expensive for what you get and probably overkill. I'm gardening all year anyway, so I'm not expecting any drastic changes in my scores.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I keep the monitoring?

From what you said above I would save the $25 and pay off bills or invest it for your retirement :-)

I have the $10/mo from experian but I'll be getting rid of that the INSTANT I app for my 3 cards.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep it.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Keep it.

Nixon why? In 6 months that he is gardening.... thats $150 out the window plus
he doesnt need be ever-daily-addicted to his score. Aren't there other things in life haha?

Message 4 of 9
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I don't even have monitoring. I just monitor mine free monthly from denials, LOL...(jk)

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really don't think the monitoring on this site works any way. I have account changes that have yet to update on here. I had a new account showing up on all 3 bureaus now for a couple days, myfico doesn't know about it. I had an inquiry update from the Transunion site earlier today, no notification from here. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

As soon as I get a Citi card of my own and PC my Freedom to Slate for Free ex FICO I will dump it.
Message 7 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Worth, expensive, overkill, etc are subjective regardless of topic.  It's your call to make and you can't just poll others who have varying needs/wants that affect their decision.  If you are going to poll the important question isn't "who?" but why?" so you can look at their reasoning and see if it is relevant to you.  Otherwise people will just tend to recommend what they prefer without any consideration as to whether or not their reasoning matters to you.  If you think it's expensive and overkill then it probably isn't worth it to you but we can't tell you that.

FWIW, unless I'm really concerned about apping for something I don't have any monitoring aside from the weekly CK report updates.

@Anonymous wrote:

I really don't think the monitoring on this site works any way. I have account changes that have yet to update on here.

The monitoring works but people need to understand what does and what does not trigger the alerts.  This is a fairly common topic and you can find the info on triggers on myFICO and/or via quick Googling.  This was the first hit searching with the keywords myFICO triggers:

http://myfico.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/463/~/understanding-what-triggers-fico%C2%AE-3-bureau-credit-monitoring-and-fico%C2%AE-identity

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The monitoring works but people need to understand what does and what does not trigger the alerts.  This is a fairly common topic and you can find the info on triggers on myFICO and/or via quick Googling.  This was the first hit searching with the keywords myFICO triggers:

It really doesn't seem to work correctly for me. For example, I have had a new account start reporting on all three bureaus about 5 days ago, myfico did give me an alert that a new account was added to my Transunion report (didn't take too long) but it still hasn't updated or alerted me to the new account on Equifax or Experian. Also, I had an inquiry on Transunion on the 15th and it took 2 days (today) for myfico to alert me of the inquiry.  I had an inquiry on Experian 2 days ago and I still haven't been alerted on that. In my opinion inquiries and new accounts being reported are very important in monitoring credit, a 2 day lag time or longer could give a criminal a lot of time to use your identity and any accounts they have opened with it. I also have accounts with all three bureaus that monitor my credit and I will say that there is also a lag time with them. I suppose they are all busy and what not, but if you pay them to do something then they should do it.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.