cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I let my medical bills go to Collections?

tag
chickadee
Established Member

Should I let my medical bills go to Collections?

My son had an accident and was hospitalized for 3 days. We are uninsured and so we applied for Medi-Cal. However, Medi-Cal found that we make too much money so our share of cost is over $5000. The kicker is he was injured on the last day of the month so according to Medi-Cal our share of cost is $10,000 ($5000 per month).

I am self-employed and made some decent money over the summer (which is why the high share of cost which was calculated based on my biggest months) but now my work has completely dried up. I don't see any way we can even begin to pay this and because Medi-Cal took so long to process, all the accounts are in or very near collection. So the E.R., ambulance ride to a second hospital, I.C.U. for two days, CT Scan, MRI, anesthesiolist, and about 6 different doctors want a piece of us.

My husband and I have a bankruptcy that discharged in 2010.  We have made some efforts to rebuild our credit but my husband is very credit shy and so we have a joint car loan and each have a secured credit card. We don't own a home.

We were hoping to buy a house in the next few years, but we won't be able to save for it. I would normally not even consider this but if I let them all go to collections, the BK and the medical bills will fall off my credit report at the same time.

All of the bills are coming in my name only. I'm hoping this will only affect my credit. I know California is a community property state, but if they only have my name, will they show on his credit? 

Any guidance on this would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Should I let my medical bills go to Collections?

It is never good to have a collection report.  It remains an additional negative for scoring until ultimately excluded.

What is the DOFD with the creditor?  That date alone will set the 7 years plus 180 day period for exclusion of any reported collection.

Additionally, is the debt still within SOL for your state?  If so, reporting of a collection may not be your only peril.  They might also seek a judgment.

After credit report exclusion, if the debt remains unpaid, it may still have significant effect on your ability to obtain new credit.

That may be particularly be true of any app for credit that involves a significant principal amount, such as a mortgage.

Mortgage lendors will often do a more intensive review beyond a review of your CR, and may simply ask for disclosure on any unpaid, delinquent debt.

Credit report exclusion of a collection may not be sufficeint to shield knowledge of the continued debt.

Message 2 of 11
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Hospitals can be good about negotiating payment arrangements.  I would try to work with them before it goes to collections.  Don't be afraid to ask for something small like $25/month.  Let them counter if they won't accept that.  You can also try to negotiate the total amount that you owe.  After it goes to collections, it will be much more difficult to work with them.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 11
trc1962
Regular Contributor

I have been through the medical collection thing-and am still there. The collection reports have killed my credit. I would do all you can to work with them before they go to collections as it is harder by far to work with collection agencies. My brother in laws son had an emergency hospitalization that was expensive. He asked the hospital for any financial charity type help available and they found some. They also worked with him so he could pay $50 a month-which he could afford. I wish I had pushed harder with my medical bills because once they are in collections it is much harder to work through them. Good luck. It is terribly expensive to have something medically go wrong-it was for me even with insurance!

Message 4 of 11
stillworking
New Contributor

@chickadee wrote:

My son had an accident and was hospitalized for 3 days. We are uninsured and so we applied for Medi-Cal. However, Medi-Cal found that we make too much money so our share of cost is over $5000. The kicker is he was injured on the last day of the month so according to Medi-Cal our share of cost is $10,000 ($5000 per month).

I am self-employed and made some decent money over the summer (which is why the high share of cost which was calculated based on my biggest months) but now my work has completely dried up. I don't see any way we can even begin to pay this and because Medi-Cal took so long to process, all the accounts are in or very near collection. So the E.R., ambulance ride to a second hospital, I.C.U. for two days, CT Scan, MRI, anesthesiolist, and about 6 different doctors want a piece of us.

My husband and I have a bankruptcy that discharged in 2010.  We have made some efforts to rebuild our credit but my husband is very credit shy and so we have a joint car loan and each have a secured credit card. We don't own a home.

We were hoping to buy a house in the next few years, but we won't be able to save for it. I would normally not even consider this but if I let them all go to collections, the BK and the medical bills will fall off my credit report at the same time.

All of the bills are coming in my name only. I'm hoping this will only affect my credit. I know California is a community property state, but if they only have my name, will they show on his credit? 

Any guidance on this would be appreciated.

Two collections deleted off my score caused a 111 point increase.  Find out about charity care in your local community.  Call the doctors and hospital system involved; do not try to avoid them.  It just makes it worse.  Try to contact them BEFORE collections occur; it will work in your benefit!

Starting Score: 525
Current Score: FICO EQ 790, TU 696, EX 683
Goal Score:
700+ across the board

Message 5 of 11
budwiser
Contributor

My wife had an operation a few years ago. We have insurance and our share was still over 3000. So I made a payment arrangement with the hospital. Wr have been paying $75.00 month till we pay it off. No interest and it wont go to collections as long as something is given monthly.
Message 6 of 11
sk8rmom56
Established Member

Check on the Hill-Burton Act. It is a program that helps to pay(sometimes totally) hospital bills. All hospitals that recieve funding from the government must do this. California was one of the first to start ,back in the '40's. Things happen- don't stress about medical bills, your kid is alive and hopefully doing well. You have to not worry about this-wasn't anything you did.

Message 7 of 11
TeeGee
Contributor

I agree with the above answers - even if you tell the hospital the minimum you can pay and start paying every month, never late without fail, it will be far better than going to collection.  I'm having to battle a 5 1/2 yr old hosp. bill that I've had to get an atty for.  It's a mess and may affect whether or not I can obtain an FHA loan.  Also, most hospitals have a charity program - if your income has dropped off and you are within their guidelines, apply for it.  Just don't make my mistake of accepting their word for it, there's an application process and you have to have to receive a letter from them excusing your debt.  Tackle each bill one by one and tell them all you can pay is $25 a month.  Most hospitals just want to see something coming in.  

Amex $6K BankofAmer $2K CapPlatinum $2.5K Macys $1K Chase RR $16K CapQS $2.5K Discover $8.5K IN THE GARDEN til 6/1/2015
Beginning FICO 630 ish EQ 732/EXP 735/TU 753 (Aug) Goal 800
Message 8 of 11
axxy
Regular Contributor

You should also consider the possibility of appealing the Medi-Cal decision.  It doesn't sound right to me that they base your income on your highest month.  Are you sure that's the real rule?

Message 9 of 11
creditscoreEE
Frequent Contributor

I agree always try not to let medical bills not go to collections I have a few that im currently working on and some collection companies will not work with you thats why I'm currently using the Hippa Process. I regret not making a payment plan sooner , also they add interest and late fees. which will cost you more in the long run.
Samsung mobile
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.