Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I mail this letter?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I mail this letter?

Finally I just have one unpaid bill. A $1000 Providian Account that was charged off in 2002, was granted a judgment in 2003 of $3137.  I ignored the judgment with the usual college kid story, but I've been lucky because I have been cleaning up my report since 2005 and no one has come calling for this account.  I wrote a letter to WAMU today asking for a way to pay off this balance.  Now after reading various things on Providian being sold should I send it?  I just don't want this debt to sit and be surprised by a lien on my paycheck or checking account. How should I pursue this? Should I send my letter to WAMU?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdtobefree
Established Contributor

Re: Should I mail this letter?

What was a DOFD?
If it was CO in 2002 then that CO will show until that month in 2009 on your CR

I personally would send the OC a letter of verification, this is NOT the validation letter you send the CA. At this point you want something from them the key here is to PLAY NICE, threatening them with statutes, laws and violations would come across the wrong way (IMO this late in the game), ASK NICELY what records they have. Finding the DOFD is the key here, it may be due to drop off this year sometimes according to the CO date you posted. ( I am guessing)

DO NOT send the letter you have written.

9 times out of 10, a debt that old and the OC was bought out, chances are your records are lost somewhere or on mico in someones basement and NO ONE wants to go down there and search it for hours on end and it usually gets deleted.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I mail this letter?

The judgement is reported by the courthouse not the OC or the CA. Unless for some legal reason you can get it vacated, it will remain.

Were you properly served?

If there are no legal reasons to have your judgement vacated- I think your only option is to pay and wait it out. It will remain 7 years from date it was filed.

As for the OC reporting- I don't think there is much you can do. You can't dispute as "not mine" b/c it's yours. You can't DV because it is the OC and not a CA. So unless there is something incorrect about what is being reported, I don't know what else you could do. But if it charged off in 2002, what was the DOFD? It may be due to come off soon. Next year at the latest.

Maybe someone else who has dealt with judgements more can give you more advice.

Message Edited by sidewinder on 02-27-2008 09:17 PM
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.