cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I offer to pay in a DV letter if the CA proves the debt is valid?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I offer to pay in a DV letter if the CA proves the debt is valid?

I'm writing a DV to a CA and would like to know if I can soften it a little to avoid having a suit filed.  If I used the tough letter from these posts, but add a sentence that says.  "Should the Name of Debt Collection Agency provide the requested information validating the above referenced account, I would be willing to promptly begin efforts to pay this debt"  (I really will pay if they validate.)  Our state has an online database where anyone can see if a suit has ever been filed in your name and I would rather not have my name appear in that for many reasons.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Should I offer to pay in a DV letter if the CA proves the debt is valid?

There is a reason for the toughness in the letters. By law they have to prove the debt is yours, among other things. If they can not do that, they can not collect on it. IMO, I would wait to see what happens with a DV without that comment. How old is the debt? Is it beyond your SOL?
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they can prove its yours and you want to improve your scores...the only way is wait for it to drop off or pay it and wait for it to drop off OR get the creditor to agree PFD(pay for delete).
Message 3 of 6
gdtobefree
Established Contributor

My goodness NEVER send a PFD with a DV, you are defeting your purpose.
You are challenging them and admitting to them that it is yours all at once.
MAKE THEM VALIDATE IT!
Then send a PFD BUT do not offer the full balance, there is a thread on here about how to calculate a PFD by Lady_Scarlet.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with guiness! DO NOT offer a PFD at all until AFTER they have properly validated the debt!

Offering to PFD before validation totally defeats the DV purpose in the first place.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like the OP is within SOL.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.