Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I refinance my car?

tag
GregR
New Visitor

Should I refinance my car?

My Car loan has about $19,800 to pay off at 2.49% interst for the next 48 months.  I can get a lower interest rate if I do a few things:  1) I need to shorten the loan payment time to 36 months, which is not a problem.  2) I need to take the loan out for $1,000 over the KBB value (which is about $20K, so I need to take out a loan for $21K, but I can take that $1,000 and pay the principal off with that as soon as they send me a check), and 3) I must pay $700 down-payment (this is because they wont loan for over KBB value and while my loan is slightly under KBB, the extra $1,000 i must take out means i would go over KBB value by just under $700).

My new interest rate would be 1.49% (but would be for about $21K total because of that extra $1,000 i must take out) and I am okay to make the higher monthly payments because it isnt that much of an increase.   I also would hope to pay off either loan in less than 3 years, so is this a good idea or should i stick with what I have?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I refinance my car?

How much will the 1% lower rate save you over the life of the loan and is that worth jumping through these hoops?  We can't answer that for you, that's something you have to decide. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.