New Visitor
phillygal

Should I remove myself as AU on spouse's accounts?

I am an AU on 4 of my husband's accounts, totalling 20K in available credit. I have an excellent credit score but he is very careless with credit and that makes me very nervous. On the upside, I pay the bills so they are never overdue. On the downside, he tends to run his cards up to the limit. What would be the effect on my score of my having myself removed as an AU on these accounts?

Senior Contributor
drkaje

Re: Should I remove myself as AU on spouse's accounts?

If you're even asking, the answer is yes.

High utilization will drag down your score. Also, if he ever forgets you'll be fighting for a deletion.

The only downside is possibly losing average account age.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
jamie123

You should keep all your credit separate EXCEPT for mortgages. That means cars, motorcycles and boats have only one name on them.

Starting Score: EQ 658 6/18/12
Current Score: EQ 690 11/17/14 - EX 687 7/21/14 - TU 682 7/21/14
Goal Score: EQ 720+
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

Excellent advice from Jaime123

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
New Contributor
Obt3wKLq5t

If you are uncomfortable, remove yourself.  Its as simple as that, the score will improve over time.

I have authorized users interconnected on four credit users in my household but I control all spending, adding and deleting of accounts so I feel comfortable doing that.  I did this in order to increase scores and maximize app o rama opportunities.

American Express SPG, American Express Costo TE, Chase Freedom, Chase Marriott Premier VS, Chase United Explorer VS, Citi Forward, Citi Dividend World Elite, Citi AA Advantage VS, Discover More, Penfed Platinum Cash Rewards, Penfed Platinum Rewards, Dell, Macy, Kohls for extra savings
VantageScore - 990
CreditKarma - 772
According to Identity Guard:
Equifax 794
Experian 786
Transunion 797

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}