cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I send a GW letter for this or should it fall off?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I send a GW letter for this or should it fall off?

This is from a CA that we paid off years ago, but at that time didn't know to do a PFD.  Should I send a GW letter to a CA or should this come off on it own? Please help!

Date Opened:
11/2001

Type:
Collection

Reported Since:
09/2001

Terms:
NA

Date of Status:
10/2002

Monthly Payment:
$0

Last Reported:
10/2002

Responsibility:
Individual

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I send a GW letter for this or should it fall off?

bump for help!  Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 8
cobra19
Valued Contributor

When in doubt, I call the CRA and ask when will this item drop off. It should  be 7.0 - 7.5 years from the date of your last payment.

Yes, it is worth GW'ing. Any collection, no matter how old is not a good thing.

Message Edited by cobra19 on 03-21-2008 01:13 PM
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 3 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If you pull your EX to TU CR directly from the CRA, you'll see an "Estimated date of removal" line with a date. That date may say very soon. If it says anything beyond 9/08, I'd dispute (due to being re-aged).
Message 4 of 8
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

llecs wrote:
If you pull your EX to TU CR directly from the CRA, you'll see an "Estimated date of removal" line with a date. That date may say very soon. If it says anything beyond 9/08, I'd dispute (due to being re-aged).

Just to clarify what I think Ilecs position is:

That item should drop of your report in September or October, and hence doing a GW may not be worth it.  I for one would NOT GW a 7 year old item liek this one. 

IF it is NOT scheduled to drop off in September like it should, you should dispute the validity of it (and the fact that it appears to have been re-aged)
050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 5 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

VistaV wrote:

llecs wrote:

Just to clarify what I think Ilecs position is:

That item should drop of your report in September or October, and hence doing a GW may not be worth it.  I for one would NOT GW a 7 year old item liek this one. 

IF it is NOT scheduled to drop off in September like it should, you should dispute the validity of it (and the fact that it appears to have been re-aged)

I need to clarify me too!

Since OP really didn't know when the CA would drop off, it would be beneficial to get the date from the CRA (TU and EX only). Who knows, maybe the listed drop off date is next month. It is also good to know just in case it was re-aged (plenty of stories in here about that).

Whatever date is listed, you would have to decide whether you would like to have it removed earlier or not. Maybe you are looking for a score bump for a major purchase like a car or home between now and then. Then, it would be worth it to do a GW to request it's removal. If you don't mind waiting it out, then wait it out. There's nothing like waking a sleeping giant.

Another option is to DV. There have been success stories in here of DVs sent to a paid up CA. They don't want to take the time and expense of responding so they delete. If you GW or DV, make sure you previously paid in full. Personally, I would send anything if I settled.
Message 6 of 8
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

llecs wrote:

Another option is to DV. There have been success stories in here of DVs sent to a paid up CA. They don't want to take the time and expense of responding so they delete.

And this is another great point, especially with 'small' CAs and 'small' debts, it appears they do not try to verify sometimes.  YMMV!

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your help!!  I never thought to call the CRA, duh..
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.