Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I settle a collection account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I settle a collection account?

Hi.  I just found out that I have an outstanding debt with Chase Bank.  I had a checking account that I did not close when I moved out of state.  Apparently there was some sort of outstanding withdrawal on the account.  The lawyers office sent me the paperwork on the account and offered me a settlement.  This collection has never showed up on my credit report.  If I take the settlement offer, will the debt show up on my credit report as "settled for less than the full amount"?  Nothing has been sent to the credit reporting agencies so far but I am worried that they will send something once I settle the charge.  What should I do?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I settle a collection account?

Send the PFD (actually pay not to report) letter to them. If they agree (they really have no reason not to agree), then you will be in the clear. Make sure that you get it in writing.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is a sample letter listed on this site?  Thanks for your help.
Message 3 of 5
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Search PFD letters (there should be an abundance of them here) and change pay for delete to pay for not reporting. Also, don't put in anything about disputing the validity of the debt.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Send them a DV letter. Sounds kinda squirrelly that it's not yet on your CRs. They might not have a legit collection and could just be fishing. By sending the DV letter you protect yourself because they'll be a bear after you pay.

OK, I'm outta animal references.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.