cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should an account of my wifes be on my credit report?

tag
coachhenson
Regular Contributor

Re: Should an account of my wifes be on my credit report?

My wife and I are working on cleaning up our credit, and an account she had as a charge-off recently was listed on my credit.  I disputed it with TU, deleted the next day.
Message 11 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

So when you disputed, did you go the route as Tuscani advised of stating "this is not my account", or did you state "this is my wife's account and I am only an AU, please remove"?  I am in the same boat (I am an AU on my husband's card and there is one 30 day late payment that is reporting to my CR) and was about to write a GW letter but wonder if I would get faster, better results by disputing. There is otherwise a perfect payment history on this card. The account is about 5-6 yrs old but I have others and it's currently reporting as "closed by the consumer" - so not sure it's doing anything but hurting my score right now anyway.
Message 12 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

bump.
Message 13 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like you could do the GW from him, then if its not removed, and you have older TL's, and its not going to really effect your UTIL % you could dispute it as, not mine.
Message 14 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks so confused!
Message 15 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

focused07 wrote:
I am in the same boat (I am an AU on my husband's card and there is one 30 day late payment that is reporting to my CR) and was about to write a GW letter but wonder if I would get faster, better results by disputing. There is otherwise a perfect payment history on this card. The account is about 5-6 yrs old but I have others and it's currently reporting as "closed by the consumer" - so not sure it's doing anything but hurting my score right now anyway.

Lates hurt until they drop. The amount of hurt fades with time.

Have your husband pursue GW. If your husband can get GW, it's almost assured they will delete the TL altogether rather than delete only the late.

You can hold out and see whether your husband can get them to delete only the late, but as I say it's not likely. But I would go ahead and dispute it off your CRs since you're an AU.

Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noah - I am a bit confused.  So are you recommending that I should have my husband send a GW letter to them?  Or should I dispute the tradeline as not mine?  I have prepared the GW letter and I am ready to send.  Can I do both simultaneously (the GW and the dispute as not mine)?  If I go the "not mine" route, do I indicate anywhere in the letter that I am an AU on the account?

Help???
Message 17 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

focused07 wrote:
So are you recommending that I should have my husband send a GW letter to them?  Or should I dispute the tradeline as not mine?  I have prepared the GW letter and I am ready to send.  Can I do both simultaneously (the GW and the dispute as not mine)?  If I go the "not mine" route, do I indicate anywhere in the letter that I am an AU on the account?

Both.

Your husband should pursue GW, and that may or may not come to pass.

But you can dispute this away without any problem since it's an AU account for you. Either online or in a letter. You can tell 'em either not mine or you're only an AU.

The only way an adverse AU account of a spouse can be reported on the AU spouse's CR is if the married couple resides in a community property state (Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, or Wisconsin) and the account was acquired "within the marital community." However, even if you're in a community property state, I would still dispute it as not mine or AU account. Not every OC is aware of community property statutes. They might just see AU and think, "uh-oh, don't wanna be another $100K Johnson v. MBNA."

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Noah - got it now.  We were not married at the time that he added me as an AU (about 4.5 years ago), but we are now (just 1 yr.).  And we do live in CA, so I am going to have him sign the GW letter I drafted and also send a dispute letter and online.  One more question since I have not disputed much:  do I file the dispute online directly with the bureau are with the creditor?
Message 19 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute with the CRA to get the TL deleted off your CRs.
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.