cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i accept an offer for a second credit card?

tag
MikeRebuild
Valued Member

Should i accept an offer for a second credit card?

I had a BK over 4 years ago. my credit score was at 630. now it is at 681. I currently have a car lease and i want to lease a BMW next january when this lease expires. My total credit available is 3300 (over 3 cards). One of my credit card companies just offered me a second card with a 500 dollar limit. i am not sure if i should accept this or not? if i accept it will it lower my FICO score? will it improve my credit?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 687
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
AeroKrix
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should i accept an offer for a second credit card?

Great job rebuilding!

i think the question is, what CC company? How would the card benefit you? Rewards, low interest? It sounds like a First Premier or CreditOne card...I sure hope it's not either

but, adding a new trade line will lower your AAoA, but increase your overall UTL. But if you already using <10%, the new limit would not help increase your score, but time will heal your fall as the CC ages.

Current 09/01/2021 EQ - 515 FAKO ; EX - 591 FICO ; TU - 598 FICO

Venmo CC $5.0K || Paypal Cashback CC $2.0K || Walmart CC $3.0K || CapOne QS1 $700 || CapOne QS $800 || Mission Lane $1.5K || Merrick $1.0K || AMEX Optima $500
Message 2 of 14
user5387
Valued Contributor

It may lower your score because of the new tradeline and the reduced AAoA.

If it's only $500 to add to your $3300, then I'd skip it.

You don't need more cards to optimize FICO scoring or qualify for a mortgage -- three is enough.

Message 3 of 14
MikeRebuild
Valued Member

It is with credit one (i also have first premier!). They both are lousy in a lot of ways but its been the cornerstone to my rebuild. 

so is your vote to skip it?

thanks

Message 4 of 14
AeroKrix
Frequent Contributor

Oh please skip it! Even though it's your second card with them, you still have to pay all those nonsense fee's. You're better off opening a secured card with that money you're going to spend just to open a credit one/first premier card.

i know how tempting a new unsecured card is... That's how I fell for Credit one and First Premier. But, secured cards can help you achieve the same success of building credit for less money.

Current 09/01/2021 EQ - 515 FAKO ; EX - 591 FICO ; TU - 598 FICO

Venmo CC $5.0K || Paypal Cashback CC $2.0K || Walmart CC $3.0K || CapOne QS1 $700 || CapOne QS $800 || Mission Lane $1.5K || Merrick $1.0K || AMEX Optima $500
Message 5 of 14
JustinS
Regular Contributor

First premier was a good rebuilder for me but with how credit one has no grace period (charges interest from the day you charge anything).... I'd definitely skip it. Best thing you can do at this point if you're serious about rebuilding your credit is (if your inquiries are reasonable) look for decent unsecured lenders who will approve with fair credit. Ones that come to mind (that I started with awhile back): Cap One and Barclays (Average Credit) - there are others as well. Work on rebuilding as you have been (good job getting to 3300 CL btw) and don't go backwards with grabbing up more cards with fees involved (I finally got rid of my last AF - Cap One EO perm waived it for me on the QS1).

Message 6 of 14
MikeRebuild
Valued Member

Justin,

Thanks so much for the response. My reasoning for accepting the second credit card from credit one is this: it would add 500 to my credit line without a credit inquiry on my report (i have no inquiries now) . Even though they are a lousy card, i was wondering if the extra 500 would help rebuild credit at all. but my concern is that it would actually lower the score - maybe it would lower the AAoA and that would lower the score? if it would raise the score, it might be worth it?

Message 7 of 14
user5387
Valued Contributor

@MikeRebuild wrote:

Justin,

Thanks so much for the response. My reasoning for accepting the second credit card from credit one is this: it would add 500 to my credit line without a credit inquiry on my report (i have no inquiries now) . Even though they are a lousy card, i was wondering if the extra 500 would help rebuild credit at all. but my concern is that it would actually lower the score - maybe it would lower the AAoA and that would lower the score? if it would raise the score, it might be worth it?

The lowered AAoA and new tradeline are likely to lower your score.

The extra $500 won't boost your score unless there's some angle with current high utilization.

Message 8 of 14
MikeRebuild
Valued Member

No, there isn't high utlization. its about 12%. I think that seals the answer: there is no reason to accept it.

Thanks!

Message 9 of 14
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I agree with the advice already given.  I would consider at some point in time getting a card  with less fees than First Premier or Credit One.  You may want to wait until after the auo lease is completed.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.