Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i pay balance down to 1 or 0%?

tag
Mario4
New Contributor

Should i pay balance down to 1 or 0%?

Im paying down balances on all my my credit cards with an installment loan.

Im getting an auto loan from DCU or Boa/Cap1 when the balances report.. I have consistent on time payments to every single card since ive opened them..

Should i pay balances down to 0% or 1% for maximum fico? (Looking for best auto rate)

since i have months of payments i dont see why the lender would have a problem with seeing payment history... But also someone suggested i keep a small balance on ONLY 1 card since the number of cards reporting balances is low as well.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
gh17
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should i pay balance down to 1 or 0%?

From what I understand, to maximize your credit score in a given month, you want to pay off all cards to $0 before the bill comes for all cards except for one.  On that one, leave a balance reporting from 0%-9% of its limit (greater than $0, but 0.4% is fine).  I don't think anyone knows the exactly difference between having 1% or 6%, etc.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 2 of 11
Mario4
New Contributor

Im paying them all off today. My first due date is on the 11th. I hope when i oay them off i dont see an interest charge balance posted to report. Im not sure when they charge interest.

Message 3 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

You want utilization to be greater than 0 for FICO scoring.

Message 4 of 11
user5387
Valued Contributor

@Mario4 wrote:
Im paying them all off today. My first due date is on the 11th. I hope when i oay them off i dont see an interest charge balance posted to report. Im not sure when they charge interest.

If you are carrying balances month to month, then paying down to $0 might be tricky, and require paying the statement in full for two successive months.

One way to avoid this might be to call the CC company and see if they will give you a "payoff amount" that includes residual interest.

Another approach is to overpay the current balance to include the additional interest.

Message 5 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Mario4 wrote:
But also someone suggested i keep a small balance on ONLY 1 card since the number of cards reporting balances is low as well.

You don't have to carry a balance (which makes you subject to interest).  You just have to let one report.

Message 6 of 11
Mario4
New Contributor

I have some cards with special financing promotions so no interest for months to come, so i'll leave a small balance about 1% for one of those cards.

@user5387 Yea thats a good idea. Or i could calculate myself and may a payment that would essentially pay off the balance + interest that would be charged. So theyd credit me for that extra part of the payment which would later go toward my interest charged.

example: $100 balance. 12% APR (1%/Month)
Balance: $100
Payment $101
New balance: -$1
Interest charges then balance becomes $0.

Sounds about right?

Message 7 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@gh17 wrote:

From what I understand, to maximize your credit score in a given month, you want to pay off all cards to $0 before the bill comes for all cards except for one.  On that one, leave a balance reporting from 0%-9% of its limit (greater than $0, but 0.4% is fine).  I don't think anyone knows the exactly difference between having 1% or 6%, etc.

It's individual per consumer, and likely changes for that matter where they fall along the credit strata at various points in their lives.

If you're putting lipstick on the pig pre-mortgage then it's possibly wise to try to figure it out if you have access to one of the common mortgage scores as the tiers are bloody hard set unfortunately and sometimes even a few points can make a massive difference.  For everything else, it doesn't matter that much other than some dealer-specific financing deals.

End of the day, if you can manage your report to what you state, the difference between 1% and 6% is 99% trivial for most people at most times: the hard part is done, being debt free on one's credit cards which is non-trivially important, almost assuredly moreso than a few points either way FICO wise.

        
Message 8 of 11
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

as others have said, best way to maximize your score is to pay off all CC's once the bill comes in (and before it reports to the credit bureau's) except one card, which you leave at 1-10%. The difference between 1-10% is probably neglible. then once it reports you pay the balance off before it starts to charge interest.

in addition, depending on your score, if your score is 750-760+ and you've been PIF, just stick to that. you won't get a better rate past 750-760 FICO.

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 9 of 11
bk510
Valued Contributor

@milkshakes wrote:

as others have said, best way to maximize your score is to pay off all CC's once the bill comes in (and before it reports to the credit bureau's) except one card, which you leave at 1-10%. The difference between 1-10% is probably neglible. then once it reports you pay the balance off before it starts to charge interest.

in addition, depending on your score, if your score is 750-760+ and you've been PIF, just stick to that. you won't get a better rate past 750-760 FICO.

Incorrect........pay off all ur credit cards B4 the statement cuts (except one card) and NOT after the bill comes in. And pay off ur 1 card in full with less than 9% b4 the due date.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.