Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Side Effect of ING's Acquisition

tag
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Side Effect of ING's Acquisition

Now that CapOne has acquired ING Direct in the US, any new Electric Orange Checking accounts now report INQ's as "Cap One Na" (as on my EQ) - so it now looks like an HP from a subprime CC that will be tougher to explain, or maybe easier if you can convince a creditor it was just a checking account hit.  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Side Effect of ING's Acquisition

Ugh.   We have a mortgage with ING and are working as hard as we can to pay it off!!!  I do NOT like Cap 1.

Message 2 of 5
compassion101
Established Contributor

Are you saying they do a hard inquiry for a checking account?

I was going to actually open a checking account with them but would not if that were the case

Message 3 of 5
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@compassion101 wrote:

Are you saying they do a hard inquiry for a checking account?

I was going to actually open a checking account with them but would not if that were the case

Most definitely, yes, ING will HP you for an EO checking account - not the savings though.  It's because of how they do their overdraft.  It's a $165 overdraft LOC that can be upped to $1K, but to establish that line it necessitates the HP.  I suppose you could decline the OLOC but I don't recall an opt-out option, and even if it was there and you were to opt-out, it might not prevent the HP anyway (a-la Ally).  I have been one of ING's biggest fanboys - they just kick ass - but the CapOne acquisition has me moving my checking elsewhere (and that's another story itself).  

Before you give your money to ING, consider who will really hold it.  Besides, you can get a better APR elsewhere for both checking and savings.

Message 4 of 5
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@jake619 wrote:

Now that CapOne has acquired ING Direct in the US, any new Electric Orange Checking accounts now report INQ's as "Cap One Na" (as on my EQ) - so it now looks like an HP from a subprime CC that will be tougher to explain, or maybe easier if you can convince a creditor it was just a checking account hit.  

I doubt this.  Capital One serves the subprime market, but they serve the prime market also.  I don't think a lender would look at an inquiry from Capital One much differently than any other inquiry.  Your report is a whole picture in any event.  Everything else on your report is going to matter way more than a single inquiry from Cap One.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.