Hammerhead

Six Month Plan Advice Please

I am wanting to purchase a used car at the beginning of 2008. I figured by waiting until 2008 the prices on the 2005 and 2006 models would go down.

I'm not sure of my actual FICO score at the moment but on my credit card account it shows a score of 677.

I have $8,000. in credit card debt right now but I can at least pay $4,000. of that off my the first of the year.

Would it be better to just keep paying off this debt over the next 6 months and then at the first of the year apply for an auto loan or get a personal loan now and pay off all credit cards and pay the loan down to $4,000. by the first of the year then apply for an auto loan?

Other than $7,000. in Student Loans I have no other debt.

Thanks
Established Contributor
so_confused

Re: Six Month Plan Advice Please

IMO... I would just keep paying my CC down and not worry about the auto loan.  You may want to look at  Roadloans.com .  They just gave me a auto loan @ 6.49% with similar scores, easy to deal with make life alot easier when go to a dealer and they don't no you have financing. You can focus on the price. Good luck!
9/18/08 TU=707 EQ=706 EX=702
Moderator Emeritus
fused

Hammerhead wrote:
I am wanting to purchase a used car at the beginning of 2008. I figured by waiting until 2008 the prices on the 2005 and 2006 models would go down.

I'm not sure of my actual FICO score at the moment but on my credit card account it shows a score of 677.

I have $8,000. in credit card debt right now but I can at least pay $4,000. of that off my the first of the year.

Would it be better to just keep paying off this debt over the next 6 months and then at the first of the year apply for an auto loan or get a personal loan now and pay off all credit cards and pay the loan down to $4,000. by the first of the year then apply for an auto loan?

Other than $7,000. in Student Loans I have no other debt.

Thanks

I would read Tuscani's credit scoring 101 thread.

Credit Cards:
Amex BCP 25K ~ Amex Clear 25K ~ Amex Platinum NPSL ~ Chase Freedom Visa 19.3K ~ CITI Dividend World Mastercard 20.3K ~ FIA Fidelity Investments Platinum Plus Visa 40K ~ First Hawaiian Bank Gold Visa 10K
Valued Contributor
SmartCookie

If you can get a decent personal loan now, you'd save CC interest... get your utilization in order, and probably bring your score up faster than without due to a better mix of credit.  That way in  January you'd also have an easier time getting a car loan with a good interest rate for the car.  I hear loans for used cars are not as easy as for new... go figure!

EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+