New Visitor
tangjunchi

Small amount of late payment hurted my credit score

Hi,

I credit score dropped a lot after I forgot to pay for my Discovercard which only have balance less than $100. Hate them since they don't have auto payment option. I cancelled that card afterwards.

Is there anything I can do to improve the score? I don't know how such a small mistake can impact my score that much.

Any advice is sincerely appreciated.

John

Senior Contributor
fishbjc

Re: Small amount of late payment hurted my credit score

You're biting off your nose to spite your face.  Closing this card may have damaged your scores even further.  You were the one who was late, it's not Discover's fault.

Most banks have online access and are able to accommodate auto payments. 

Had you kept that card open, they may have been in the mood to offer you a goodwill adjustment after a certain amount of on-time payments.

I'd call them, beg forgiveness and ask them to reopen your account. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+