Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some credit report questions

tag
bobkmn
Regular Contributor

Some credit report questions

Folks,

Didn't see any particular place to post this, so I am assuming this would be it. I have some questions about my credit report. I downloaded copies today referencing all 3 bureaus. My first, and most important, question deals with an IRS tax lien. The lien was reported in March, 2004 and was fully paid off and released in October, 2010. TransUnion and Equifax show no record of it on my CR, but Experian shows the lien as having been released in October, 2010--which is accurate. However, my question is whether I should 'dispute' this with Experian. I do not know the regulations they must follow regarding such liens nor the impact of it showing up on one of my CRs. I'd be interested in your thoughts on my course of action. One last thing is that all of the CBs have my previous address wrong, they are previous addresses but from between 7 and 10 years ago. And, only 1 of the CBs have my employer correct. Experian has a 11 yr old employer and TransUnion has nothing.

Thanks very much!!!

Bob

Current scores: Experian-693 Equifax-720 TransUnion-727
Gardening since 4/7/2014 - Mouse over card for limit.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Some credit report questions

What you should do with the IRS lien is go through the Fresh Start paperwork with them and get it taken care of that way.  Disputing isn't going to help as they'll just verify with the court that yup the lien was recorded and it's listed correctly as released...  released just means paid, withdrawn is the status which yanks it off the credit report.  You can now get a paid IRS tax lien withdrawn, it's worth doing so as I've read some conflicting information as to when paid tax liens come off, and it might be from when you paid them... that's a while, so go through the paperwork hassle in my opinion.

I disputed most of my old addresses / employers; employers are junk, some of the addresses might come back if that's the address of record that a given tradeline has for you.  If it's not right, it's worth getting off there if for no other reason as identity verification can be a PITA sometimes.

        
Message 2 of 8
bobkmn
Regular Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

What you should do with the IRS lien is go through the Fresh Start paperwork with them and get it taken care of that way.  Disputing isn't going to help as they'll just verify with the court that yup the lien was recorded and it's listed correctly as released...  released just means paid, withdrawn is the status which yanks it off the credit report.  You can now get a paid IRS tax lien withdrawn, it's worth doing so as I've read some conflicting information as to when paid tax liens come off, and it might be from when you paid them... that's a while, so go through the paperwork hassle in my opinion.

I disputed most of my old addresses / employers; employers are junk, some of the addresses might come back if that's the address of record that a given tradeline has for you.  If it's not right, it's worth getting off there if for no other reason as identity verification can be a PITA sometimes.

Thanks!  Shall do. I imagine all the stuff I need is on the IRS site?

Message 3 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@bobkmn wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

The form you need is on there, after that if you have one of the nastygrams they sent you or can otherwise get the IRS serial number of the lien and similar information, just fill it out and send it to the address they specify for their state.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f12277.pdf

        
Message 4 of 8
bobkmn
Regular Contributor

Revelate wrote:

bobkmn wrote:

Revelate wrote:

The form you need is on there, after that if you have one of the nastygrams they sent you or can otherwise get the IRS serial number of the lien and similar information, just fill it out and send it to the address they specify for their state.

Ok, lets make sure we are on the same page. I have not gotten any 'nastygrams' from anybody. I just looked at my CR the other day and one CB has the lien shown as 'released'. I will fill out the form and see what happens. So, do you mean to dispute the addresses but don't worry bout the employers?

Thanks for the help.  People are great on here!!

Bob

Message 5 of 8
bobkmn
Regular Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@bobkmn wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Would it help if I private messaged you the text that is actually on the CR?

Message 6 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Probably not; if you only have the one lien on your report then I suspect it's fairly easy for the IRS to know what lien you're referring to simply by checking your SSN against their records.  If you know what year the lien was for, that's probably enough as well given that while they will sometimes combine multiple years into a single lien when they go to court, they won't issue multiple liens for a given year typically and that probably holds true for all IRS liens ever issued as they have to wait a period of time before they can assess and file the lien anyhow.

If you don't have the information send in what you do have; however, taking a look at one of my reports from myFICO all that's listed is the court number and I don't think that necessarily matched what was on my own lien notices.  The IRS messages aren't as consistent as they should be anyway, so I suspect it's not unusual for them to have to go hunting down tax-payer information but the more information you can provide probably the better it is for getting it resolved.

Re employers: employers are self-reported typically on a credit report, so they can be self-removed too in my opinion via a dispute.  That data doesn't need to be on there; archaic old addresses (or in some cases wrong ones) I disputed.

        
Message 7 of 8
bobkmn
Regular Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Probably not; if you only have the one lien on your report then I suspect it's fairly easy for the IRS to know what lien you're referring to simply by checking your SSN against their records.  If you know what year the lien was for, that's probably enough as well given that while they will sometimes combine multiple years into a single lien when they go to court, they won't issue multiple liens for a given year typically and that probably holds true for all IRS liens ever issued as they have to wait a period of time before they can assess and file the lien anyhow.

If you don't have the information send in what you do have; however, taking a look at one of my reports from myFICO all that's listed is the court number and I don't think that necessarily matched what was on my own lien notices.  The IRS messages aren't as consistent as they should be anyway, so I suspect it's not unusual for them to have to go hunting down tax-payer information but the more information you can provide probably the better it is for getting it resolved.

Re employers: employers are self-reported typically on a credit report, so they can be self-removed too in my opinion via a dispute.  That data doesn't need to be on there; archaic old addresses (or in some cases wrong ones) I disputed.

IRS form done. Will advise you of the results.  Thank you very much!!!!

Bob

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.