Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone please explain

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Someone please explain

Not only is credit reporting to a CRA totally optional on the part of any business, and thus they can elect not to report unless it serves some clear business purpose, even if they wish to report, they must still meet the requirments for obtaining a credit reporting agreement with the CRAs.

It is not a matter of their simply reporting to a CRA.  They must first apply for and be approved for a reporting agreement.

That entails having a minimum number of regular accounts to be reported, training of their personnel on use of the mandatory CRA software and Metro 2 format, a site inspecition, and if approved, payment of a fee to hte CRA.  Not something that some landlords want to manage or may even qualify for.

Message 11 of 12
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Someone please explain

@Anonymous wrote:
Why isn't renting a house or apt. Credit worthy and reported?

Because it's not credit.

@Anonymous wrote:
Using my income to pay someone else mortgage. In turn improving that persons credit.

However, you are not responsible for the credit account.  Just like if you gave someone money to help them pay a creditor it will not help your credit since you are not responsible for it.  Responsibility is a double edged sword.  You're seeing the benefit but not considering the other edge.  If you always paid your landlord in full and on time but your landlord defaulted, was late, etc you'd be liable for that.

You can debate it all you want but it is what it is and the system isn't going to change just to benefit you.  We all have to deal with the same system.  Learn about it and take action to improve your own credit.

@Anonymous wrote:
But. If I buy a car and make a $250.00 payment per month and i have two credit cards for 3 years. This helps my credit. 

Those are credit accounts and you would be responsible for those accounts.

@Anonymous wrote:
But making a payment of $1,200.00 a month for 3 years with no late or missed payments is not good.

That's something you need to consider when you're deciding on renting versus buying.  You're also not building equity when renting.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.