cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone please help me figure this out ! How will taking name off this credit card affect score ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone please help me figure this out ! How will taking name off this credit card affect score ?

Ok, here is the scenario:

My husband currently has a joint account with his sister on a credit card that has been CLOSED a few years ago.  It has a 30K limit and about 15 K debt on it.

There is a chance we can get his name off the card,  if we can, how will this affecrt his score ???

The card is already closed, but I'm not sure if the available credit on the closed card is still factored into his score since there is still debt on the card.

If his name is taken off  the card, then the debt will not be factored into his score, but again, how will his score be impacted ?  

thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Someone please help me figure this out ! How will taking name off this credit card affect score

3 Credit Reports - REMOVAL will raise your scores!

If this card is not on your 3 CR, then this DEBT probably does not affect your credit.

Unless a Creditor finds this 15K debt, no effect.  Might pop up when you do not need it to be found out.

7 years, should disappear - unless discovered by bill collectors.  Who track down your phone number.

Then you know.

(ghoulishly typed from the back of my mind.)

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Someone please help me figure this out ! How will taking name off this credit card affect score

The debt s his sisters ... her name will still be on this card and will be paying it off herself.

I need my husband's name off the card b/c I don't have time to wait until she pays the darn thing off !  We need to get a home loan now.. yesterday, if you know what I mean.

Even if it still appears on his Credit reports, as long as it isn't factored into his score I will be happy.

Message 3 of 5
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

if he's just a "AU" then have him removed STAT!

If he's a co-signer of any sort, then he's stuck.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

we thought he was just an AU, but when his sister tried to take him off they said he was a Joint, so she left it at that.

I wanted to hear it for myself, so we called the credit card and they guy said  my husband was added as an AU and then he was automatically added as a Joint (?????), so he took him off as an AU and is sending us the form to take him off as a Joint, so I am CROSSING MY FINGERS !

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.