Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spiteful Actions

tag
hazzmat1021
Valued Member

Spiteful Actions

Has anyone every disputed a discrepancy on their report, only to have it even more screwed up in yhe end?  One credit bureau had my car note at $9300, when I acutally owed $5200. I diputed the accuracy of the price only to learn- now- ALL credit bureaus, has my car note as  $5200  and currently a charge off. I setttled a collections account for $880 from $1747. The CA never reported it, I disputed the $1747 amount and now they have me as owing $898. This is plain spiteful on their behalf- is this legal?????
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Spiteful Actions

hazzmat1021 wrote:

Has anyone every disputed a discrepancy on their report, only to have it even more screwed up in yhe end?  One credit bureau had my car note at $9300, when I acutally owed $5200. I diputed the accuracy of the price only to learn- now- ALL credit bureaus, has my car note as  $5200  and currently a charge off. I setttled a collections account for $880 from $1747. The CA never reported it, I disputed the $1747 amount and now they have me as owing $898. This is plain spiteful on their behalf- is this legal?????

Disputing always should be a last resort, IMO.

Same has happened to me too. In the beginning of my repair journey, I disputed everything. Some things came off but some accounts added lates where there were none before and some baddies go added to other CRAs when they weren't there before.

It is legal, so as long as they are reporting accurately. In my case, I was late but never reported as such until I disputed.
Message 2 of 5
hazzmat1021
Valued Member

it's just so funny to me how...when late- they are quick to report, but when on time, or doing the right thing- they report at their convenience. And please don't dispute- they tend to get childish like with more inaccuracies
Message 3 of 5
GFer
Valued Contributor

"Disputing always should be a last resort, IMO.

Same has happened to me too. In the beginning of my repair journey, I disputed everything. Some things came off but some accounts added lates where there were none before and some baddies go added to other CRAs when they weren't there before.

It is legal, so as long as they are reporting accurately. In my case, I was late but never reported as such until I disputed."

So if the info is inaccurate and you suggest that disputing should be a last resort, what are we to do? I have had this happen! Smiley Mad

Is it better to write or call the ca or the company with which you have the account and let them know that your account needs to be updated?

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

GFer wrote:

So if the info is inaccurate and you suggest that disputing should be a last resort, what are we to do? I have had this happen! Smiley Mad

Is it better to write or call the ca or the company with which you have the account and let them know that your account needs to be updated?

If something is inaccurate, then you should dispute it (lates on a CC where you can prove you weren't, or re-aging where you can show otherwise, or an account that isn't yours that is tied to someone you don't even know, etc....)

But in OP's first example, the account was legit, but the balance was not. Before the dispute happened, the car note was supposed to read $5200 on all three but was showing $9300 on one and nothing on the others. OP's dispute is legitimate, the balance is wrong on the one. But disputing corrected the balance, but the baddie appeared on the other 2.

We don't know what would have happened, but OP's odds of it not being placed on the other 2 were higher had OP written a letter to the OC mentioning that CRA's balance was incorrect at $9300, please adjust to $5200, or something like that. Now, ideally, OP should have left it alone. I don't think OP would have gained any favor under a manual review or certainly FICO-wise by having the balance adjust on the one CRA.

Remember, disputing often involves one computer talking to another. CRA asks a CA's computer, is the account theirs? CA's computer responds, "Yep, it is in the system", and the CRA verifies. There's no human interaction. At least if you write, you can be a thorn on their side and press for action. If you did that with a CRA, you'd be a frivolous disputer after the first try.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.