Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split Credit File -- Trans Union

tag
phumanr
Frequent Contributor

Split Credit File -- Trans Union

Has anyone had any experience with a split credit file? How do I get this consolidated? Trans Union tells me not to worry, that I will only have one score...but I am concerned that potential new creditors may not see my file in its entirety.

Thanks,
Phumanr
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
John060675
Valued Contributor

Re: Split Credit File -- Trans Union

Oh God, I am sorry to hear about the split.  I have not had this happen personally, but there has been posts on here about it.   I would do a search on it.

Get it fixed as soon as possible!  From my understanding and readings on here, it can and will be a nightmare.

You need to get them merged back together.  How?  That I am not sure of.  I think you can only contact them and request it.  They should tell you how.

I am sorry to hear this happened to you.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear -this just happened to me with EQ. It's good you caught it early.

To resolve, send a letter to trans union requesting they merge you credit profiles, provide them with your correct, name, address, and SS#. If possible include a copy of both reports or at least split report reference numbers.

Attach a copy of your social security card and your license or a utility bill.

Send it in. Hopeffully, it will be merged after that. Afterwards check your combined report/credit file carefully to ensure no new mistakes have been made...if that happens, it can get tricky. But just focus on phase #1 now...it's not too bad!

Good luck!
Message 3 of 7
SonorityGenius
Established Contributor

Wow..

So how does one know they have a s-p-l-i-t file??

Scary!!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did TU tell you the file is split? Splits are more common with EQ, but TU is known to split files at times.

Don't listen to TU. Do act on the split. Call TU Special Handling.
(610)546-4848 (I'm hesitant to say it's a human, so I'll just say voice)
(610)546-4606 (fax)
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

SonorityGenius wrote:

So how does one know they have a s-p-l-i-t file??

Splits happen because "too much information" gets onto one's CR. Exactly how much is too much, and in what category, no one knows for sure.

Some have said too many soft pulls results in a split, but this is far from absolute and I don't even agree with the admonition. I've talked to far too many people who've been soft pulling for, literally, hundreds (plural) of days and they've experienced no split. Others have soft pulled a dozen times or less, and bang they get split.

Remember that the CRAs have been diddling with computers and databases for a LONG time. Each still runs an IBM COBOL mainframe, although they do use a lot of new fangled technology as well.

COBOL does have some limitations, and I know because I is a COBOL programmer. Without getting into a lot of technical nonsense, basically you sometimes run into a numeric limitation and someone in charge needs to decide, "OK, we don't ever foresee the need to store more than X number of widgets. Lets add 10, or 10 percent, or double X, and move on. Agreed? Agreed."

Then something unforeseen happens and you get X plus 1 of whatever. To compensate for this "catastrophic" situation, the credit file gets split into 2 files with a theoretical linkage between the two.

In one of my past contract programmer lives, I worked on a state motor vehicle licensing system with one of these "hard limits" of 50 traffic violations, because afterall who would EVER accumulate 50 traffic violations in their entire life. I mean c'mon. Right? Wrong. Years before I got there, this happened, the equivalent of a split driving record was coded for, and everything generally worked OK. Most times. Your first 50 violations were stored, there was a link to your second file, and you could continue racking up violations. [Actually the more common situation is a woman who gets married, or divorced, and changes her last name. Your last name is part of your Driver's License Number in Washington, and if it changes then your DL # changes. This results in two or more linked "split" but linked driving records.]

With the CRAs, splits don't always get "linked" together very well. Generally what seems to happen is they stick all your adverse info on one of the two split files, and that's the one they serve up to OCs doing INQs or ARs.

Message Edited by Noah_Bodie on 10-23-2007 07:28 AM
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Splits can also happen if a CCC has some misinformation on you credit card file and submit that under you ss #...thats what happened to m
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.