cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spouse has very low credit score question??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spouse has very low credit score question??

I understand that applying for joint application will affect the interest rate if my spouse has bad credit, but can my spouses' credit score directly lower mine even if the loan is paid every month on time? For example, my credit score is high 780s and my spouse is very low 600s. When applying for joint credit, will her credit score automatically lower mine as if the lower credit score was linked or show up on mine. Thanks for the help.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Spouse has very low credit score question??

DT wrote:
I understand that applying for joint application will affect the interest rate if my spouse has bad credit, but can my spouses' credit score directly lower mine even if the loan is paid every month on time? For example, my credit score is high 780s and my spouse is very low 600s. When applying for joint credit, will her credit score automatically lower mine as if the lower credit score was linked or show up on mine. Thanks for the help.

The only way her activity will affect yours is if a joint account is reported late or derog.  Just make sure the payments are kept up and on time and you should have no problem with a joint account.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding your spouse to CC accounts of yours as an AU can boost your spouse's credit score.
Message 3 of 4
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

I recommend adding your spouse as an AU to a couple of your accounts (use accounts with the longest history and lowest balances).

Just remember, any previous or future negative info will affect them as well.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.