Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spouse's collection on my reports?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spouse's collection on my reports?

My wife missed a small vet bill which I found out about when it showed up on my reports as a collection. Tried to goodwill the CA for a PFD stating that it was not my account, but rather my Wife's. They weren't interested and spewed off about California law and about how her accounts were my accounts, and are always reported jointly. I guess they thought I just fell off the turnip truck. I advised them that CRA's maintain separate credit files for married individuals and that they were full of it. When I disputed they updated to show it as "shared" under "responsibility." I did not request, engage in, or sign an agreement for service. The money is not an issue, it was $72. I am fine with paying it if we owe it. I'm just miffed that it's not my account yet is a derog on my files.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Spouse's collection on my reports?

Never goodwill a CA. They have no reflection.

Dispute it with the CRAs as not mine.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried that first. Kept verifying. The last time I disputed they updated it as "shared" responsibility which is a crock of dookus. Actually today I called the OC and left a voicemail for the office manager. Trying to goodwill her by offering PFD and skip the CA altogether since they have proven to be true beef puppets. Since the OC still owns the account, they should hopefully have the final word about how the CA handles the account. If I can pay them directly it would be ideal, if they'll tell the CA to pound sand. Waiting for callback tomorrow.

Message Edited by devhip on 05-15-2007 04:14 PM
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

DV the CA and get MOV from the CRAs.

Still hunting for info, but I don't believe there's anything permitting an OC or CA to report a spouse's debt on their CRs unless the spouse signed something. Community property states allow both spouses to get sued, but CRs are totally different.

Message Edited by Noah_Bodie on 05-15-2007 04:20 PM
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.