cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Statute of Limitations and Validation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well...........yes and no.  If I were you I don't think I...

Well...........yes and no.  If I were you I don't think I would stop payment on any checks or drafts you have already sent because that may give them a reason to sue you (on the stop payment).  So you may want to consider that one gone (hopefully a cheap lesson).

Is NCO Group the ones collecting your debt?

The fact is - you are going to have this problem for a long time.  Even if the company collecting right now stops, they will probably just sell the debt to another company who will try the same stuff.  Keep copies of any letters on your computer so you can change the names when you are contacted by another company in the future, and become familiar with the FTC online complaint system, so once you do all this the first time you can do it again much faster when the debt is sold again. 
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it's NCO.  So, don't stop payment, but do send the l...

Yes, it's NCO.  So, don't stop payment, but do send the letters?  And if they sell it, do the same? Will I always have to deal with this?  It's off my credit report, btw.
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahh, yes, the infinitely fun game of whack-a-mole. I star...

Ahh, yes, the infinitely fun game of whack-a-mole.

I started with 19 moles to whack and I'm down to the one now.
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which is why I tell people that, once you get collections...

Which is why I tell people that, once you get collections or charge-offs on your credit report, you're hosed.  I get criticized for saying that, but it's the truth, unless you have oodles of time on your hands and a lot of cash to hire lawyers.

Having the law on your side is only useful if you're rich enough to hire lawyers.  Otherwise, who cares?
Message 14 of 16
yoreljm
New Contributor

NCO tried to strong arm me too! They had a deep voice guy...

NCO tried to strong arm me too! They had a deep voice guy call me and threaten me. I said I could not pay right then, and they said "OK, so you are REFUSING to pay?" I said i was not refusing, just unable right now. Then I got to my senses. I wrote them a letter telling them that their information was wrong (it was wrong for real), and they should varify the debt or do not call me anymore. I did not hear from them again...they just send my account to someone else.
Message 15 of 16
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Re: NCO tried to strong arm me too! They had a deep voice guy...

If the SOL has run out on a collection/charge off should one send GW and/or PFD letters to have those account removed? Or just leave it alone?
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.