Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stimlus Package

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Stimlus Package

Thanks guiness, I'm having a D'oh! Day.  It was staring me right in the face, although they haven't updated the payment schedule.
Message 11 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Someone posted earlier, that the schedule will not update since it reads you will receive the money "by" not "on".
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, those tricky IRS types. Smiley Happy
Message 13 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes, and to make matters worse, I used a tax service. I did not get a RAL because I am military and they no longer let you. However, I did pay for the service and they had it sent through their bank via certified check. I paid for this "service" though they did not tell me up front it cost. It still took 14 days to get the check. So, now after reading more, it looks like I will get a paper check in June and not direct deposit in May. Sad.
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

guiness56 wrote:
Yes, and to make matters worse, I used a tax service. I did not get a RAL because I am military and they no longer let you. However, I did pay for the service and they had it sent through their bank via certified check. I paid for this "service" though they did not tell me up front it cost. It still took 14 days to get the check. So, now after reading more, it looks like I will get a paper check in June and not direct deposit in May. Sad.

It's sad that the military doesn't provide access to free or low-cost tax preparation (free assistance is available for low- and middle-income taxpayers).  Good thing you didn't get the RAL -- that would be more money in the pocket of the tax service.
Message 15 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The military does have no cost tax preparation. I usually do my own taxes but, this year I utilized a paid service because of some things that had happened over the past year. Plus, they were doing business sooner than the military. I want my money and I want it now. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by guiness56 on 04-28-2008 11:32 AM
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

For all of us out there who owe Fed or State (I had been told my State was pd, then found out it wasn't, they forgot a year)...or Child Support or Student Loans - guess what - we don't get the rebateSmiley Sad  Guess it's a way to reduce the overall gov't debt?!!  There goes that TVSmiley Happy
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

masde & guinness;

I don't know if it varies from base-to-base, but on Camp Pendletonn & Camp Lejeune, the free refund by military tax dudes is basically the daycare for Marines who are in big trouble & their SgtsMaj just wanted them out of their face. It's like the financial duty equivalent of having to weed the sandpit.
We had our taxes done by them ONCE and it was a nightmare. When we finally took them back (three weeks later and after the second submission & second IRS denial) and brought the package to a REAL tax prep, he spent two days trying to figure out what they did... some of the numbers he could play with & eventually figure out how they came up with them but other numbers he really felt were just pulled out of the air. That, and our tax situation was so abnormal (overseas mil pay, tax-free overseas contractor paid, etc) that even he had to call his boss to check a few things and he's been doing this for 15 years.
Ultimately we lost out on the ability to get our refund direct deposited because of the numerous screw-ups by the Cpl who did them initially, it had to be mailed in with all the corrections & I ended up taking off over 10 hours from work to handle the mess...

I don't trust the mil tax preparers as far as I can throw them, after that experience. They get minimal training, and aren't motivated to be there, it's just a way to get out of having to be somewhere else.

That experience really drove it home to me that you get what you pay for!
Message 18 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
masde & guinness;
I don't know if it varies from base-to-base, but on Camp Pendletonn & Camp Lejeune, the free refund by military tax dudes is basically the daycare for Marines who are in big trouble & their SgtsMaj just wanted them out of their face. It's like the financial duty equivalent of having to weed the sandpit.
We had our taxes done by them ONCE and it was a nightmare. When we finally took them back (three weeks later and after the second submission & second IRS denial) and brought the package to a REAL tax prep, he spent two days trying to figure out what they did... some of the numbers he could play with & eventually figure out how they came up with them but other numbers he really felt were just pulled out of the air. That, and our tax situation was so abnormal (overseas mil pay, tax-free overseas contractor paid, etc) that even he had to call his boss to check a few things and he's been doing this for 15 years.
Ultimately we lost out on the ability to get our refund direct deposited because of the numerous screw-ups by the Cpl who did them initially, it had to be mailed in with all the corrections & I ended up taking off over 10 hours from work to handle the mess...
I don't trust the mil tax preparers as far as I can throw them, after that experience. They get minimal training, and aren't motivated to be there, it's just a way to get out of having to be somewhere else.
That experience really drove it home to me that you get what you pay for!

You know, I did not want to say that! But, that is a major reason I will not use the base personnel. They get 1 week of training and are ready. I have been doing mine for 10 years and have never had a problem. No need to start.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.