Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange inquiry...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Strange inquiry...

A few days ago, I got an inquiry from a place called "RentPort, INC" in Englewood, CO. I haven't applied for any credit lately so I googled around trying to see who it was. I found one match on Google and it says it's a Credit Reporting agency which I assume is a collection agency.

Two questions:

1) Can "Credit reporting" agencies really put inquiries on your credit? I obviously never authorized them to pull my credit. Am I misunderstanding their legal abilities here?

2) I am not in default on any credit accounts at this time. The only thing I can think of is an apartment complex we moved out of about 6 months ago that never sent us a final bill. We made sure we gave them our forwarding address and such but we have yet to receive anything from them officially that says we owe X amount of dollars to them. Do apartments usually just put you in collections or actually let you that you officially owe them money?

Thanks for the help!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Strange inquiry...

This company is owned by TU.

I don't think they have PP.
Message 2 of 6
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

My daughter left an apartment earlier than her lease said.  The owners said they were OK with that.  They changed their mind and sent it straight to collection.

Amnd rentprt seems to be a part of TU now!  They look like a collection agency to me

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

We left early too. However, we followed the contract for early termination to a T. We gave them 60 days notice of the early move out. We had some concessions when we signed our lease and they said we'd have to pay back those concessions due to early termination and the contract stated this as well. So, they gave us a round figure of what we may have to owe. However, it wasn't an actual figure. They had to do a final walk through to make sure there wasn't any damage to the place before they gave us that. We provided them with our forwarding address and to this day we haven't even received any communication from them by mail or even a phone call. We assumed they just forgot about it.

So, basically, we don't even know how much we owe them besides that guesstimate they showed us before we left.

With that being said, can they do such a thing? Don't they need to actually present a bill or at least verbally request payment before they can send you off to collections? Does anyone know if I can fight this to get the inquiry removed and possibly anything they put on my credit if they do put a collection on there?

If this is for the apartment, we don't have a problem paying anything as long as we know how much we have to pay and get an itemized breakdown of what we actually owe. We have yet to receive such a thing...
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone? Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The easiest thing to do would be to call them up and ask if you have an outstanding balance. If they say yes let them know you have received no documentation and ask if they have sent it to collections. If they say yes let them know you want to pay before it is reported on your report - you will want to get that in writing. There are excellent examples on this site.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.