cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strategy for Improving FICOs...Any other advise?

tag
ECHOBOI4U
New Contributor

Strategy for Improving FICOs...Any other advise?

I am new to the MyFico thing here, but have been rebuilding my credit since my bankruptcy in Nov 1999.  I have been able to secure a various mix of credit over the years starting with some of the "starter cards" and gradually getting better offers, and rates with credit cards, auto loans, personal loans and LOCs.  My problem that I realized was that I carried too much debt recently (revolving debt on credit cards mostly).  After a substantial promotion this year with a hefty pay raise, I am tackling my revolving debt head on and paying down my utilization to keep it between 1-9% on all cards.  I still have the starter cards and plan on paying them down and letting them sit for history with minimial use if any for activity reasons (use small amount and PIF).  The higher limit prime and semi-prime cards that I like with better rates and benefits (no fees or minimal if any) I will keep.  I have too many card accounts right now from having the starter cards, but they help my history somewhat (age of accounts).  I fell stupid a couple times after BK and had a few collections and charge offs that are paid and aged.  I have PFD letters that I am submitting to have them removed as nothing is deliquent on my reports any more.  I feel I am on the right track, but I have to be patient (hard for me as I work in a fast paced industry that is constantly moving and demands constant actions).  I have too many inquiries according to MyFICO in the last 12 months, so I am NOT applying anywhere (no hards) for 12 to 16 months.  I even made a sign to put over my computer that reads "Just Say No to Apps."  I keep telling myself, "hey...In the long run with low balances, aged accounts and lower inquiries, I will have steller scores eventually."  I got tired of begging for CLIs and better rates.  My plan will make this flip around for me.  I want them groveling for my business.  Then I can say "hmmmm I don't know....." and "no."
Smiley Wink  

If anyone has any further suggestions that will help me move ahead better and / or faster, please let me know.  I have been reading these forums for about 2 months before I joined and WOW....they are an inspiration.  I feel so much better after reading the advise of people that have been in my situations and bettered themselves.  I actually am beginning to sleep better at night as a result of less credit stress.  I know that I have a way to go, but the 1st step is seeing the problems and determining a strategic plan to meet your goals.  Then do it....

Thanks everyone for all your help with this topic....best wishes.   Smiley Happy

"Heading to the 700 club like a man on a mission..."

EXP FICO: 642
EQF FICO: 627
TRANS FICO: 621

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Strategy for Improving FICOs...Any other advise?

ECHOBOI4U wrote:
 I fell stupid a couple times after BK and had a few collections and charge offs that are paid and aged.  I have PFD letters that I am submitting to have them removed as nothing is deliquent on my reports any more. 

If they are already paid, you want GW letters, not PFD(pay for delete).
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.