Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Issue

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loan Issue

ok, here's the situation.  I had 1 student loan for 5k. I defaulted and had my wages garnished.  The account is now paid in full but this 1 loan shows up 2x on my credit report.  I sent a GW letter to the Department of Education to request that they remove one of these accounts so it didn't look so bad.  Today I get a response from them stating that they can't remove the information because they are obligated to report correctly to the cras BUT THEY ACKNOWLEDGE THE FOLLOWING :

Because your loan was declared in default, the Departments Default Resoultion Group reported your defaulted student loan to the credit bureaus.  The Department's Direct Loan Servicing Center may have also reported your loan prior to default.  Therefore, you loan may appear twice on your credit report." 

They go on to state that if I feel there is an error, I need to dispute it with the cras.  Well Hello?? yeah there's an error!  I had one loan that shows up 2x with two different account numbers and it looks like I defaulted on 2 loans worth 5k each!  What do I do now?  Can I send a copy of this letter to the cras to show that in essence it is a duplicate account? 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loan Issue

I love how they admit their error, yet they don't accept responsibility.  I would definitely make a copy of the letter and send it to all CRAs.  Good luck with battling the government! lol
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.