Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners

Student Loan Issues

I have a question about how to remove a student loan reporting off my credit report.  I have loans that first reported in 1998 and they are still showing on all three credit reports and are bringing my score down.  I thought it could only report seven years and then they would fall off.  I have disputed with all agencies, but they will not remove them.  Since they reported, they have been sent to another lender and have been paid on time.  I want the information removed so my scores will improve.  My scores are currently 607 TU 607 Experian and 542 Equifax.  I feel that if these negatives are removed my scores could improve significantly.
Established Contributor

Re: Student Loan Issues

jillian2778 wrote:
I have a question about how to remove a student loan reporting off my credit report.  I have loans that first reported in 1998 and they are still showing on all three credit reports and are bringing my score down.  I thought it could only report seven years and then they would fall off.  I have disputed with all agencies, but they will not remove them.  Since they reported, they have been sent to another lender and have been paid on time.  I want the information removed so my scores will improve.  My scores are currently 607 TU 607 Experian and 542 Equifax.  I feel that if these negatives are removed my scores could improve significantly.

Questions:

Are you saying the loan first started reporting in 1998, or that it first went derrogatory in 1998? My assumption here is that it was derrogatory and then was sold.

So if you can give a little more information on the loan, like when you got it, how derrogatory was it and when it was transferred to the other lender it would help the people on the here to give you a more direct answer.

It first reported in 1998 and went 120 past due pretty quickly.  It actually went into default in 2002, but I took it out of default and that is when it was transferred to another lender.  It has actually been reported nine times between all the different stages, but now it has been consolidated and is being paid on time. 
Established Contributor

jillian2778 wrote:
It first reported in 1998 and went 120 past due pretty quickly.  It actually went into default in 2002, but I took it out of default and that is when it was transferred to another lender.  It has actually been reported nine times between all the different stages, but now it has been consolidated and is being paid on time. 

Well then it seems like you need to send the original lender a GW asking them to remove the account from your credit report. Because techincally they can report the account for 7 years from the DOFD so that's 7 years from whatever month in 2002, ie. 2009 sometime

Now when you say it was reported 9 times, I'm still a little confused, reported 9 times by whom?  Sorry to keep asking questions, I'm just trying to get a clear picture.  But first things first, you have to send a GW to the original lender.
Moderator Emeritus

trinigal wrote:

jillian2778 wrote:

Well then it seems like you need to send the original lender a GW asking them to remove the account from your credit report. Because techincally they can report the account for 7 years from the DOFD so that's 7 years from whatever month in 2002, ie. 2009 sometime

Now when you say it was reported 9 times, I'm still a little confused, reported 9 times by whom?  Sorry to keep asking questions, I'm just trying to get a clear picture.  But first things first, you have to send a GW to the original lender.

Happy 4th of July! Sorry for raining on your parade. GW letters often work but not with SLs. I have never heard of a successful GW letter for lates or etc. I know it stinks!Smiley Sad
Credit Profile - FICO 08 Scores (03-26-2015): EQ 814, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 27 years ~ AAoA: 13 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: TU 1

Credit Cards: Amex BCP ~ Amex Clear ~ Amex Platinum ~ Barclay Ring World Mastercard ~ Chase Freedom Signature Visa ~ CITI Dividend World Mastercard ~ FIA Fidelity Investment Platinum Visa ~ First Hawaiian Bank Gold Visa
Established Contributor

Oh, you're not raining at all.  The way I see it, she's got nothing to lose.  It may not work, but hey!   It's worth a shot!  At least to me.

But yes I should have mentioned that SLs especially Fed SLs are  very tough to get deletions on.
Moderator Emeritus

trinigal wrote:
Oh, you're not raining at all.  The way I see it, she's got nothing to lose.  It may not work, but hey!   It's worth a shot!  At least to me.

But yes I should have mentioned that SLs especially Fed SLs are  very tough to get deletions on.

Exactly, agreed!Smiley Tongue
Credit Profile - FICO 08 Scores (03-26-2015): EQ 814, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 27 years ~ AAoA: 13 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: TU 1

Credit Cards: Amex BCP ~ Amex Clear ~ Amex Platinum ~ Barclay Ring World Mastercard ~ Chase Freedom Signature Visa ~ CITI Dividend World Mastercard ~ FIA Fidelity Investment Platinum Visa ~ First Hawaiian Bank Gold Visa
Moderator Emeritus

Forget about GW for student loans. You are stuck with any baddie if they are valid. The Higher Education Act requires that all student loans report for the full seven years.
Established Contributor

Tuscani wrote:
Forget about GW for student loans. You are stuck with any baddie if they are valid. The Higher Education Act requires that all student loans report for the full seven years.

Well, see now that sucks!  Smiley Sad
Moderator Emeritus

trinigal wrote:

Tuscani wrote:

Well, see now that sucks!  Smiley Sad

Yep.. A student loan late is the only type of baddie I have never been able to help someone get removed. Smiley Happy

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.