Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan issues

tag
creditgirl
Regular Contributor

Re: Student Loan issues

Below is the information I found on the Illinois Student Assistance Commission's website.  According to what they are saying here, they only require 9 months of consecutive payments.  I guess you should find out who the holder of your loan is (see below) and explain to them all the arrangments you have made payments to.  Hopefully, you made your payments within 20 days of your due date (see below). If so, your proof from your bank should be evidence enough to show them you've complied with the 10 payments. Now you should ask for the ask for a Rehabilitation agreement. 

I would think someone would've explained this all to you, but I KNOW sometimes people on the phone are not competent or not well trained or simply just a newbie. I would call back and ask them for the Rehabilitation agreement and send it all in to the appropriate place along with proof that I've complied with the 9 months payments. I wouldn't mention that you were told you weren't eligible, I'd just try to get the form.

Also, I found an address to their executive offices. If you don't get anywhere with the knowledge below, I'd send all my information to them and make my requests to them. Maybe that will help.  But don't forget to dispute the late payments if they won't take care of it.  The address is:

500 W. Monroe
Third Floor
Springfield, IL62704-1876
Phone: 217.782.6767
Fax: 217.524.1858
E-mail:
dcalcara@isac.org

From their website (http://www.collegezone.com/studentzone/144_1201.htm#holder_of_your_loan):

Federal Loan Rehabilitation

The default status may be removed from your credit bureau report through participation in the Federal Loan Rehabilitation program. To be eligible, your loan must not have a legal judgment against it, you must voluntarily make nine approved and on-time payments within a consecutive ten-month period, and sign a Rehabilitation Agreement. Each of the nine payments must be made within 20 days of the due date. You may not pay a lump sum to qualify for loan rehabilitation. However, you may start over if you are unable to fully meet these requirements within a consecutive ten-month period.        

Approximately 60 days after the qualifying payments have been made, and the signed Rehabilitation Agreement has been received, your loan will be repurchased by a participating lender to whom you will send all subsequent payments. The most important benefit for you is that the default status on your credit bureau report will be removed. (If you are currently under administrative wage garnishment, ISAC administers a separate program which will allow you to rehabilitate your loans; contact ISAC's Debt Management Department for details.)

Please contact the holder of your loan to receive additional information about Federal Loan Rehabilitation. 

In addition to the removal of the default status on your loan, other benefits to rehabilitating your loan include:

• loan is removed from active collection status
  • federal and state student aid eligibility is regained
  • deferment and forbearance eligibility is regained (if borrower meets eligibility requirements and lender approves request)
  • collection costs are reduced.

Reinstatement of Federal and State Student Aid Eligibility

If you have a defaulted student loan, you are not eligible to receive additional federal or state student aid funds (student loans or grants). You do, however, have a one-time opportunity to reinstate your eligibility by voluntarily making six approved, consecutive and on-time monthly payments. You will need to submit a request (in writing or by telephone) to have your eligibility reinstated. It is important to remember that this is a one-time opportunity, and you may not miss a payment or be late on any of the six agreed upon payments. You may not pay in a lump sum, or restart your repayment if you should miss a payment or if a payment is late. 

After eligibility is reinstated, you must continue to make payments on your defaulted loan(s) even while in college.  If you fail to continue to make monthly on-time payments, you will no longer be eligible for federal and state financial aid programs, including student loans, until your loan(s) are removed from default.  Contact the holder of your loan for more information about reinstatement of federal and state aid eligibility.

FICO 9/1/07 FICO 9/26/07
TU--534 TU--538
EX---552 EX---562
EQ---454 EQ---454
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great investigation girl! Thank you. Smiley Happy
Message 12 of 18
ficonewb
Established Member

You're my hero creditgirl!
Message 13 of 18
creditgirl
Regular Contributor

Thanks! I hope it helps! The people here have helped me so much, I am glad to have an opportunity to return the favor!!
FICO 9/1/07 FICO 9/26/07
TU--534 TU--538
EX---552 EX---562
EQ---454 EQ---454
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great work CreditGirl!!! What color is your cape?

Do you know if the rehabilitation only works with "Defaulted" Loans, or is there a program for those that were delinquent also?
Message 15 of 18
creditgirl
Regular Contributor

Vintage,
Rehab only applies to defaulted loans, unfortunately.  You might try GWs to your lenders about late payments. It may or may not work though. Some of them are sticklers about their reporting practices because they really are required by law to report what actually occured.  However, I have heard of GWs working with some lenders. I believe someone on this board posted success with Direct Loans. So I'd say try sending out some letters.

I actually tried one for lates on my perkins loan but it didn't work even though it was a mixup on their part with the date I actually needed to reapply for a deferment. The loan actually defaulted! They removed the default promptly upon seeing the error but they wouldn't remove the lates. I understand why they won't because they had sent me letters. They didn't know I was at home for aobut 4 months when my mom was ill.  I'm thinking of trying again soon though.  Maybe they will change their minds!

I am about to send in GWs to Direct Loans for 2 late payments from way back when (2001). I know it won't help my score but I don't like seeing it there,  kwim? Wish me luck....
FICO 9/1/07 FICO 9/26/07
TU--534 TU--538
EX---552 EX---562
EQ---454 EQ---454
Message 16 of 18
ficonewb
Established Member

BWAHAHAHAHA After much badgering and pestering of a particular manager, ISAC has agreed to fully remove my default student loan from my CR. WOOT!
Message 17 of 18
creditgirl
Regular Contributor

ficonewb wrote:
BWAHAHAHAHA After much badgering and pestering of a particular manager, ISAC has agreed to fully remove my default student loan from my CR. WOOT!

WTG Smiley Very Happy!!!  Doesn't it make you feel good when things work out the way they're supposed to??!!!  Don't forget to let us know what happens with your fico's once the default is removed!!!
FICO 9/1/07 FICO 9/26/07
TU--534 TU--538
EX---552 EX---562
EQ---454 EQ---454
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.