Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loan

I have 3 student Loans - Will my scores benefit from paying 2 of the Loans off?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do what makes sense financially. FICO will eventually rec...

Do what makes sense financially. FICO will eventually recover even if the answer to your question is "no."

The answer is: hard to say. I've had paying things off and closing them increase my score, decrease my score, and have no effect whatsoever.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am currently sitting on the 700 threshold and trying to...

I am currently sitting on the 700 threshold and trying to get above that mark. Financially, it is an easy decision. I pay 2 off. I would prefer to leave them alone if they will "hurt" my score. Reading the FICO score sheets, it states balances reflect 30-35% of your overall score. So, I am assuming that paying 2 of these accounts off will help. However, I am not sure if these accounts will then be considered closed, which may hurt. I am looking for the best possible outcome. Thanks for your help.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Financially, it'd make more sense to pay them off if the...

Financially, it'd make more sense to pay them off if the amount of interest you're paying on the loans exceeds the interest rate you could get by putting the $ in a CD.

My student loans are consolidated at 4%; it currently makes more sense for me to keep the bulk of my money in savings rather than paying them off faster.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could be wrong, but I don't think student loans are a r...

I could be wrong, but I don't think student loans are a revolving charge account, so you wouldn't be "closing" the account in the same manner of speaking as you would be if you closed a credit card account.  A credit card account is designed to revolve permanently.  A loan usually has a set course it runs in terms of repayments.  In other words, the system expects that the loan "account" will ultimately be "closed" (read: paid off) and thus you should not be penalized for paying it off.  In fact, from what I understand, it would list as a loan repaid as agreed, which would enhance your credit score.

But as is the case with anything FICO-related, YMMV.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.