Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loans Please Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loans Please Help

Hi guys! I have a student loan from 1994 - originally $3500.00 balance, now a $628 dollar balance showing $450.00 past due. My question is when should this fall off my credit report. It is over 13 years old already. I was thinking about disputing as too old to report or should I let sleeping dogs lie as it is only on one CRA. I will be paying this in full soon.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Student Loans Please Help

There is no SOL on federally insured student loans. Like the Energizer bunny they keep going and going.

There is a reporting SOL for 7 years. However these loans can and are transfered from lender, to servicer, to guaranty agency, and possibly to the US Dept of Ed. Each can report for 7 years. If you still owe on the loan interest and penalties are accruing.
Message 2 of 11
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

There is no SOL on Federal Student Loans.

Try a PFD when you are ready to pay, though it's sorta a combo with a GW letter in this instance. 
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does not seem to change even when they are paid.  Mine are 15 years old and still showing even though they were pd (after collections) years ago.  My only positive element is that without the student loans my length of history would be relatively shorter.  Good luck!
Message 4 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

SmartCookie wrote:

Try a PFD when you are ready to pay, though it's sorta a combo with a GW letter in this instance. 

In theory these are the right actions. Unfortunately, I have never heard of a GW letter working for SL lates. It stinks!Smiley Sad
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tell young people (tongue mostly in cheek) that it's better to borrow from the Mob than to get a student loan. At least with the Mob you know where you stand if you can't repay...
Message 6 of 11
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

fused111 wrote:

SmartCookie wrote:

In theory these are the right actions. Unfortunately, I have never heard of a GW letter working for SL lates. It stinks!Smiley Sad

Yeah  Smiley Sad   Sorta like, it can't hurt but don't expect it.  Not even sure if they are allowed to change it if accurate.   
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay it off.  You owe it, now pay it.
Message 8 of 11
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

hopeful wrote:
Pay it off.  You owe it, now pay it.

Hi, please re-read the original post.  You seemed to have missed the part where he said he was going to pay it.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, he was also considering disputing it.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.