cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loans - What if I can't trace lender?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loans - What if I can't trace lender?

I tried writing a GW letter asking an old student loan to be taken off my credit report since it was transferred in 2001 and the number of accounts is hurting my FICO.

The letter came back as Not deliverable as addresses - unable to forward. I used the address on my credit report, but as I recall USA Group was bought by Sallie Mae. Do I write Sallie Mae asking them if they will delete these?

What are my odds at getting these removed? 3/4 of my accounts are student loans that were bought by Sallie Mae or later consolidated.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loans - What if I can't trace lender?

First step, IMHO would be to find out exactly who has the loans.  So call/write Sallie Mae and ask them if they have it.  Find out what the status is, and move from there.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem with Sallie Mae is that Customer Service isn't in USa, so even if I call them, they seem incompetent to help... Maybe I'll write them...
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sillygirl wrote:
Problem with Sallie Mae is that Customer Service isn't in USa, so even if I call them, they seem incompetent to help... Maybe I'll write them...

Really, that's news to me, everytime I call I get an american.  I have 2 loans with them.  Let me go look for the number I have.....brb
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, the number I have is 888-272-5543.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mmmm... that's the same numebr I have. I'll try it ans see what I get.

Thank you!!!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.