cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loan applications being treated how auto loans and mortgage loans are?

tag
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

Student loan applications being treated how auto loans and mortgage loans are?

Does anyone know why several auto and mortgage loan application inquiries are combined within a specific time period but not student loans?  What are the chances that in the future student loan applications will be grouped as one inquiry?

AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

TU (Discover): 663 | EQ (Citi): 651
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Student loan applications being treated how auto loans and mortgage loans are?

@WallyxD wrote:

Does anyone know why several auto and mortgage loan application inquiries are combined within a specific time period but not student loans?  What are the chances that in the future student loan applications will be grouped as one inquiry?

Actually student loan inquiries are handled in a similar way to auto inquiries by FICO scoring ~ multiple inquiries within a ~30 day window will be scored as one inquiry.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Re: Student loan applications being treated how auto loans and mortgage loans are?

I started college over 2 years ago and take out federal loans. i see the loans on my credit report but i do not get an inquiry every year so im not sure they re inquiry you every time.....this is for federal at least
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 3 of 5
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@WallyxD wrote:

Actually student loan inquiries are handled in a similar way to auto inquiries by FICO scoring ~ multiple inquiries within a ~30 day window will be scored as one inquiry.

That's weird because that definitely wasn't the case with me.  I applied for a few student loans within a two week period during the Summer of 2011, and they've all come up as separate inquiries.  A lot are due to fall off by the end of September so I shouldn't be worried about it anymore, but those inquiries are the two of the three reasons why I was denied several CCs, which is what made me ask this.  And Luscher, I wasn't talking about federal student loans.  They hit my AAoA because they reported as new accounts, but I don't get inquiries for them.  I was referring to private student loan applications.

AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

TU (Discover): 663 | EQ (Citi): 651
Message 4 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Even though the inquiries will show as individual inquires on your reports, they will only be counted as one inquiry by FICO scoring if they're coded correctly.

And in the case of creditors who deny for excessive inquiries ~ you should be able to recon and explain that they were for loans.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.