Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loan consol & credit score

tag
stylenjen
Established Member

Student loan consol & credit score

I recently consolidated my student loans and this morning I got a notice that my Equifax score dropped 20 points because of it!! I thought consolidating was a good thing, why did it hurt my score so much?? It's so frustrating and sad because I just got my score way up Smiley Sad
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Student loan consol & credit score

@stylenjen wrote:
I recently consolidated my student loans and this morning I got a notice that my Equifax score dropped 20 points because of it!! I thought consolidating was a good thing, why did it hurt my score so much?? It's so frustrating and sad because I just got my score way up Smiley Sad

Consolidation is often a good thing financially, but FICO wise not so much.

I've recently got enough datapoints where I'm absolutely convinced that installment utilization counts in FICO 8 (and EX 98 model too) over in the Installment Utilization thread in UFS, so what likely happened is you had several SL's that had some amounts already paid off, and if I had to guess they were probably <80% original balance but that's something of a SWAG based on early data.

You then paid them all off, got the consolidation loan, which is now reporting at 100% of balance or darned close to it.  Even if the others aren't reported paid / closed yet it might've monkeyed with the score.

Even in my case, I paid down my installment loans from aggregate 61% or thereabouts, to <10% and my EX FICO 8 just jumped 19 points (!) this morning and that's with my file which has a slew of derogatories on it and limited history (AAOA 2 years) on it, so I can easily see your losing 20ish points on this one.

Beyond that there's all the usual bits, possible inquiry landing on the report and new tradeline changing your AAOA but that big of a drop for a single account, it's likely more than that as I think as IIRC your file isn't thin.

Anyway, if it was the right decision financially, don't look back, that's a win as FICO scoring is less important than personal finances.

        
Message 2 of 5
stylenjen
Established Member

A quick correction, it was my Experian that dropped 20 points, not my Equifax score... I say this because my student loan consolidation showed up on my Equifax this morning and my score RAISED 4 points, not drop 20 like Experian. Why such the diference?!?! Experian - 678 Equifax - 718 Transunion - 715
Message 3 of 5
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@stylenjen wrote:

Consolidation is often a good thing financially, but FICO wise not so much.

I've recently got enough datapoints where I'm absolutely convinced that installment utilization counts in FICO 8 (and EX 98 model too) over in the Installment Utilization thread in UFS, so what likely happened is you had several SL's that had some amounts already paid off, and if I had to guess they were probably <80% original balance but that's something of a SWAG based on early data.

You then paid them all off, got the consolidation loan, which is now reporting at 100% of balance or darned close to it.  Even if the others aren't reported paid / closed yet it might've monkeyed with the score.

Even in my case, I paid down my installment loans from aggregate 61% or thereabouts, to <10% and my EX FICO 8 just jumped 19 points (!) this morning and that's with my file which has a slew of derogatories on it and limited history (AAOA 2 years) on it, so I can easily see your losing 20ish points on this one.

Beyond that there's all the usual bits, possible inquiry landing on the report and new tradeline changing your AAOA but that big of a drop for a single account, it's likely more than that as I think as IIRC your file isn't thin.

Anyway, if it was the right decision financially, don't look back, that's a win as FICO scoring is less important than personal finances.

Revelate, through your studies do you think people (like me) who have consolidated 2 or so years ago should open up another installment/rebuilder type loan? I have only 1 installment loan and didn't know if another one would help. I will be paying on this loan for 347569374865987345 years so I'm curious to your thoughts.

Personal:

Business:

Message 4 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@stylenjen wrote:
I thought consolidating was a good thing, why did it hurt my score so much??

Don't rely on oversimplifications like "good" and "bad".  An action that can make financial sense may not help with score and vice-versa.

@stylenjen wrote:
A quick correction, it was my Experian that dropped 20 points, not my Equifax score... I say this because my student loan consolidation showed up on my Equifax this morning and my score RAISED 4 points, not drop 20 like Experian. Why such the diference?!?! Experian - 678 Equifax - 718 Transunion - 715

You'd have to carefully review reports from before and after each scoring change to ensure that you're accounting for all changes that would have a scoring impact.  20 is about the minimum threshold I'd suggest setting for worrying over the numbers though I recommend focusing on data on your reports versus the numbers.  Where are you getting these scores from?  What scoring model(s)?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.