Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loan problem!!! Pls help.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student loan problem!!! Pls help.

I just came back to USA after 2 months , and I just got a later showing that they reported me to TU, EX, and EQ for my student loan... The date they stated that they reported me is only.4 days ago, but i have the total amonut ready to pay them. Please, i need your advice, is there any way i can call TU, EX, and EQ, to make them take it off from my record?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Re: Student loan problem!!! Pls help.

No, they only report what is reported to them,   I would call your student loan lender ASAP and see if you can work something out.   Word to the wise,  this is one debt you don't want to mess around with.   Don't try and play hardball, they don't have to go through the courts to seize you bank account, garnish your wages or seize you tax returns.    I would just plead with them to remove it from your Credit Report. and hope that they will.
Trust me as one who has defaulted, it KILLS your credit score.   Don't let it linger around. if you have the money,  pay it .   DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH STUDENT LOANS.  They're ruthless. 
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Boswd wrote:
No, they only report what is reported to them, I would call your student loan lender ASAP and see if you can work something out. Word to the wise, this is one debt you don't want to mess around with. Don't try and play hardball, they don't have to go through the courts to seize you bank account, garnish your wages or seize you tax returns. I would just plead with them to remove it from your Credit Report. and hope that they will.
Trust me as one who has defaulted, it KILLS your credit score. Don't let it linger around. if you have the money, pay it . DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH STUDENT LOANS. They're ruthless.

Not only that but the are required by Law to report correctly- they rarely remove lates.
My SL does not report derog until 60 days so get on it !!!!
Message 3 of 9
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Agreed. SL are nothing to mess with! And NEVER be late if your loans are with Sallie Mae... GWs are pretty much impossible with them.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to have 2 student loans in default so I have a lot of experience with this. First off, here's some information from the federal student loan servicing website (www.dl.ed.gov):

Rehabilitation or Consolidation?

There are many benefits to rehabilitating a defaulted loan before consolidation. If you consolidate a defaulted loan without rehabilitating it, your credit record continues to show a default status on the loan. This is true even after the consolidation loan pays off the defaulted loan in full.

* Consolidating a defaulted loan will result in your credit report bearing the notation that the loan was in default but then "paid in full." This notation will remain on your credit report for up to seven years. While a "paid in full" notation is preferable to an unpaid default, there is still the possibility that lenders will deny you future credit, such as mortgages, auto loans, or credit cards because of this notation.

However, if you rehabilitate a defaulted loan before consolidating it, the loan holder will update your credit record to no longer reflect the default status of the rehabilitated loan(s).

* Rehabilitating a defaulted Direct Loan or FFEL loan requires that you make at least nine (9) full payments of an agreed amount within twenty (20) days of their monthly due date over a ten (10) month period to the U.S. Department of Education (Department). Rehabilitating a defaulted Perkins loan requires twelve (12) on-time monthly payments of an agreed amount to the Department. Contact your loan holder to obtain additional rehabilitation terms and conditions for your loan type.

Keep in mind that if you default on your loan, you are liable for any collection costs incurred to collect the loan. If you pay off the defaulted loan by taking out a Consolidation Loan, the amount you borrow must be enough to pay off your defaulted loan, including principal, interest, and collection costs. This means that the amount of the new loan may need to be up to 18.5% larger than the principal and interest outstanding on your defaulted loan.

Both rehabilitation and consolidation will reinstate eligibility for additional Federal student aid under Title IV of the Higher Education Act (Pell Grants, FFEL and Direct Loans, etc.).

In a nutshell, it's probably better to go through the long rehabilitation program rather then paying it in full...just to get the negative items removed.

About 3 years ago, I started the rehabilitation process. After making 12 consecutive monthly payments, I received a couple letters stating that my loan would be taken out of default on my credit reports. However, what happened to me was that one account in "good standing" popped up on my CR's and the 2 defaulted ones stayed on. When I contacted them about it, they said that they reported them as not being in default status and there was nothing they could do about it. They advised me to dispute them with the CRA's and I did. Approx 30 days later, they were removed. All in all, it took me about 14 months to get them removed but it was worth getting rid of the negative items.

Message Edited by danx on 06-02-2007 10:22 AM
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Direct loan is paid off after only 4 days they reported me TU, EQ, and EX, please can anyone tell me how i can dispute my Direct Loan...what steps do i need to do that?
Message 6 of 9
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Ok so we are on the same page.   You defaulted on your Direct Loans, they reported it to the CRA's and now you paid it off.   Is this right?   You can call or write or dispute, in hopes they will remove it.  But I wouldn't hold your breathe.   They don't seem to budge on PFD or anything of that nature, you may be stuck with it for the 7 years.   Sorry I don't have better thoughts or advice.   I defaulted mine so I know what you are going through.   It is the worst, the only thing worse is BK IMHO.  
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

For my student loans, I have a 60 day, and a 90 day late marks on my reports for the months of Feb & March 2006.

My 1st payment was not due until June 2006. I begged them to get those marks removed but they wont do it because they said that forbearance on my account was approved when the account was already late. I never got a statement or was informed that my account was late.

Message 8 of 9
Boswd
Valued Contributor

But the one bright spot you have is, you've paid off your student loan and now that debt is over.   If you don't have any luck getting it removed, through the course of time it will have less and less effect of your score.  
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.