Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loan questiion

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student loan questiion

I have student loan which i suppose to pay later when i graduate, But it seems like bureaus calculate my student loan along with my debts. My question, do my student loan affect my score?, and what if i paid it off would that increase my score?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Student loan questiion

Yes and Yes.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok...but i am trying to buy a car and my scores are TU 723, Ex 631, and EQ 655 so, i am wondering if it will be a good idea to use my down payment for my car to pay off my student loan so that my credit score will increase (in order to get a better % rate for my car loan). ANy ideas?
Message 3 of 7
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I would imagine you could get a 6-7% loan on a new car. I believe the rate on your student loans is less than that. Close to a wash to me.
Message 4 of 7
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Yea, that is a wash. Plus, paying down installement debt won't increase your scores like revolving will!
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

a student loan is considered a good debt unlike credit cards. I havebeen paying my student loan for years and I am down to the last thousand dollars. I paid it off but slowly and have a great credit history on that account. It's up to you if you want to pay it off immediately or not. You need to look at your overall credit history.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have unsub and subsid loans at 2%, and I owe $30,000.  My payment is 8 months ahead of time, and my payment is $111.00, and I pay $150.00 s month.  How do you figure out how long it will take to pay this debt, and is it worth paying more.  Am I making a debt in the principal by doing this, or is it going to take me even longer to pay my debt off.  agnesnethel
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.