Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stunned by Diners dispute process

tag
SGR
Contributor

Stunned by Diners dispute process

I called Diners today to dispute a transaction and the rep was very cold and seemed to immediately take the side of the merchant prior to even listening to the facts. She then asked if I would mind being put on hold and when the line was reconnected I was shocked to learn I had been transferred to the original business that fraudulently charged my card! I wasn't even told I was no longer talking to Diners -- the only thing that gave it away was the hold music. If I didn't notice the music, the business could have easily posed as Diners and gotten additional sensitive information out of me. To say I'm shocked by this experience is an understatement. I'm going to try calling back tomorrow in hopes I get a different rep because this is unacceptable.

To be clear: The transaction I'm disputing is clearly fraudulent. I have a contract which proves I was overcharged and there are several reviews online of customers with the same issue. The company even admits guilt --in writing-- yet claims they aren't able to issue a refund. The only thing they are willing to do is offer me a coupon for the amount that was overcharged. This isn't a small amount we're talking about either... its $1,500. A coupon is not a valid resolution when a card has been overcharged by $1,500.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Stunned by Diners dispute process

IMHO, I would not call to speak to a different CSR. Please put the dispute of the transaction IN WRITING and mail it along with the business' written proof of guilt by Certified Mail--Return Receipt Requested, to Diners. And, since this was a fraudulent charge, admitted by the business, I would even file a police report! $1,500 is a lot of money and I wouldn't care if it had only been $20.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 6
SGR
Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

GIMO, I would not call to speak to a different CSR. Please put the dispute of the transaction IN WRITING and mail it along with the business' written proof of guilt by Certified Mail--Return Receipt Requested, to Diners. And, since this was a fraudulent charge, admitted by the business, I would even file a police report! $1,500 is a lot of money and I wouldn't care if it had only been $20.

Great idea... I'll file it via certified/return receipt mail. It stinks to have to take this route but I guess its necessary. I would have assumed Diners would have dealt with disputes like every other major bank but I guess not.

Message 3 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Moved to 'General Credit' for additional exposure...

Message 4 of 6
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Wow ! 

Seems strange since lenders typically side with the customer until proven otherwise. Now I'm sure I'm going to cancel my Diners MC when the AF is due - not that I use it much now....

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Were you filing a dispute under the Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA)?

If so, then the statute requires that disputes be in writing in order to establish any consumer rights and to ensure they are filed within the timeliness period of the FCBA.

While not excusing poor practices, disputes under the FCBA are required to be in writing, which may explain the lack of phone reps being schooled in the process.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.